·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm still in the learning stages in regards to some of this stuff. What do you mean by platform and LSC? My general ignorance is also why I haven't bought anything yet either lol.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Lockout or some sort of device built inside the shock that limits the amount of oil flow when you are pedaling so it doesn't bob all the time. The Roco WC doesn't have a platform and it has a great oil flow, which equals a lot of bobbing. The benefits? Plushness.

If you plan on pedalling, I would recommend a Roco TST or a Fox DHX.

For the spring rate, google a spring calculator.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea, I agree with above. The Roco is a great shock, go with the TST version, it uses the same valving but has the terrain selection giving you a better option for climbing yet the same quality DH performance as the WC. I have a ROCO TST on my Nomad and it rules.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
it's a good shock

I have a roco world cup air on that frame and it does fine it is a little plush due to no pedaling platform but it doesn't bother me.
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I like the TST suggestion, the only problem is it doesn't seem to be made in a 9.5 x 3.0 which is what I need. The reason I was asking about the WC was just because I read a lot of reviews for it saying that the performance you get out of the Marzocchi is what you expected to get out of a Fox DHX but don't. I have another bike that I use when pedaling is important, such as in a Super D. I mean how much does the WC really get bobbing, does it only eat up pedal energy when climbing or at all times, even on the flat? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I make the correct decision. The Fox DHX does fit my bike too by the way so that is a consideration.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
A dhx will fit and is a good shock I prefer Marzzochi just because its a little more plush and the oil can be changed in 15minutes. If you are doing a super d event I would recomend an air shock because they are super tunable without buying a load of springs and it would shed some weight. Pedaling is all personal I can stand up and bob that frame until I am blue in the face but when I use correct technique it is not a problem with either shock and I have owned both a dhx and roco on that frame.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
+1 for the Marz WC. very happy with mine.

as for spring weight...if you can magically find a Haro tech manual...it might have a weight chart.

if you cant find one...according to http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html it says about 250# will do. haro X7 is 7" travel right? i dunno. input the data yourself. the calc is sometimes a little off. maybe 50# heavy.

if your worried, steel springs are cheap. so if you feel one doesnt feel right, getting another one wont cost you an arm and leg.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
sullie said:
Thanks guys. I like the TST suggestion, the only problem is it doesn't seem to be made in a 9.5 x 3.0 which is what I need. The reason I was asking about the WC was just because I read a lot of reviews for it saying that the performance you get out of the Marzocchi is what you expected to get out of a Fox DHX but don't. I have another bike that I use when pedaling is important, such as in a Super D. I mean how much does the WC really get bobbing, does it only eat up pedal energy when climbing or at all times, even on the flat? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I make the correct decision. The Fox DHX does fit my bike too by the way so that is a consideration.
It depends on your suspension design, I have a Roco WC coil mounted up in a bike with Dw-link/Maestro (similar) and it doesn't bob when I pedal uphill, it just bobs when I stand and hammer.

I don't know how good is that pivot placement on the Haro, but from a simple overlook, it seems that it would bob quite a bit on that frame when pedaling.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I weight the same as you and have gone for a 350lb spring on my Orange 222. It's very plush but I haven't riddent the bike for long enough to know if it's going to bottom out on say a decent drop etc, I'd say it would probably come close. Prior to that I had a 275lb spring which was too soft - more than 50% sag! I think ideally I'd probably get a 375lb (but I don't think that exists!).

It does depend on your bike. The TFT Tuned calculator is good because it factors in shock brand and bike type (single pivot etc) which can make a difference!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well apparently Haro is putting a Roco on the X7 standard for next year and the 18" frame will have a 300 spring, probably because they think the size of the person that would ride an 18" would require that spring. I mean right now, the shock that came standard on the bike has a 400lb spring and I can hardly move that thing, I'd have to drop it off a building before it would move an inch. Right now I'm thinking 275, puts it in the ballpark of what Haro thinks is appropriate for the bike, and I'm guessing that I'm a little lighter than the average weight they're thinking of for 18" X7 riders.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Go with what you think is right then - sounds like for your bike you might well need a lighter spring than you would on a different bike.
Mine came stock with a 450lb as well and from sitting on the bike (before it was properly built up) I could tell it was going to be way to stiff for me - like next to no sag.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
sullie said:
Well apparently Haro is putting a Roco on the X7 standard for next year and the 18" frame will have a 300 spring, probably because they think the size of the person that would ride an 18" would require that spring. I mean right now, the shock that came standard on the bike has a 400lb spring and I can hardly move that thing, I'd have to drop it off a building before it would move an inch. Right now I'm thinking 275, puts it in the ballpark of what Haro thinks is appropriate for the bike, and I'm guessing that I'm a little lighter than the average weight they're thinking of for 18" X7 riders.
I would try a 250 I rode the 300 on my dhx and it was just right and I am 205

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.