Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have the Cane Creek AD-5 shock on my Sugar 3+, and thinking really hard about upgrading. I would love to get some advice from fellow Sugar+ owners that have upgraded, to hear what you all have done and how pleased you are with it. I guess I would love to hear the same thing about replacing the fork too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fox Pro Pedal R

I have a 2002 2+ that had a stock AD-12. Not that the AD-12 was bad, but I decided to upgrade to the new 2004 Pro Pedal R. No lockout needed with the Sugars. I think it is a definite improvement. More plush in the rougher stuff. I am still going with the stock Rock shoz Psylo SL. Works for me. I have heard that the 2005 model has some improvements on the pro pedal. If you go that route you might want to wait until the 2005's are out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sugar+

Aqueous said:
I still have the Cane Creek AD-5 shock on my Sugar 3+, and thinking really hard about upgrading. I would love to get some advice from fellow Sugar+ owners that have upgraded, to hear what you all have done and how pleased you are with it. I guess I would love to hear the same thing about replacing the fork too.

Thanks!
I have a 2002 Sugar 3+
After 2-1/2 years I think I got it right. The first thing was the rear shock. The stock AD5 is not that bad and is really adjustable, but all the adjustable things are inside (that sucks). I was ready to chuck the damn thing. I then read a post about the setup that someone suggested. First thing, order the tuning kit (like $15 from cane creek) and a rebuild kit($20). This thing is really easy to take apart. Put the smallest rebound brass Jet that comes in the kit in it. The compresion shim is a trial thing, but I stayed with the stock after several tries. Next thing is important! The volume plate (aluminum) that is movable needs to go as deep into the body as it can (when looking at the open end) . This will make it compliant on small stuff, but not bottom on big hits.

The stock Black 80/100 was very soft and I replaced the spring with the heavy spring kit.
Then I found a 2003 Black Elite 100/120(disk only) at Greenfish Adventure sports for $199.00 and could not help myself. This was a great upgrade as the higher fork really slowed the steering and smoothed the trail.

I also upgraded to Avid Disks with levers and XT shifters and 317's with XT disk hubs.
Running a Motoraptor 2.4 on the front and an Enduro 2.2 on the rear. I hope this helps?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that helps a lot

Yes, that helps a bunch. Seems to me I have read about the modification to the AD-5 somewhere here before too, and I think it is good advice. I can at least try that for $35 before I dump around $250 into a new shock. I've also been thinking about a Black Elite for the front too (trying to decide between that or an XC Comp), so that was helpful too. It looks like we have the exact same bike -- they really are awesome aren't they!

Take it easy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Aqueous said:
Yes, that helps a bunch. Seems to me I have read about the modification to the AD-5 somewhere here before too, and I think it is good advice. I can at least try that for $35 before I dump around $250 into a new shock. I've also been thinking about a Black Elite for the front too (trying to decide between that or an XC Comp), so that was helpful too. It looks like we have the exact same bike -- they really are awesome aren't they!

Take it easy.
Ya, I really like my bike a lot after all the changes. I also tried a 15d 100mm stem, but the longer fork and the higher longer stem made a bad combo on the uphills.

If you do the mod to the shock, you will be pleased. I am about 190lb and was running about 120psi in the shock, and now run about 140 in it. It allows for a softer ride, but will not bottom out. Download the manual from caneCreek and check out the spanner and "hook" tool. You will need a spanner, but anything that has a hook will work as you have to pull the aluminum plate out and push the big c-clip down to the last notch( down is easy, back up is very hard to do). I do like my bike, but after riding a friends Enduro, I am waiting till the 2005 comes out and may go for that.

If you have any q's just ask.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, I replaced my AD-5 with a Cloud 9 and it was a good upgrade. It was nice to be able to tune the rebound on the fly. Unfortunatly, I also just cracked my rear triangle in a crash so if you would be interested in a 6 month old Cloud 9 for real cheap, let me know. I have no use for it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cloud 9

SLCRider said:
Hi, I replaced my AD-5 with a Cloud 9 and it was a good upgrade. It was nice to be able to tune the rebound on the fly. Unfortunatly, I also just cracked my rear triangle in a crash so if you would be interested in a 6 month old Cloud 9 for real cheap, let me know. I have no use for it.
I almost went for the upgrade, but have dialed my AD-5 in. You can still get Cane Creek to exchange the AD-5 for a new Cloud 9 for $225 +S&H. I think you would still need to get the max air volume set, but the adjustable rebound and Comp. would be great. Is it for a Sugar+ and how much?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spv

Aqueous said:

Thanks!
I upgraded my sugar 2+ w/ the SPV 3-way. Nice, but the ride is rougher than with the float R that came stock on the bike. If you want to switch out shocks, try the 4-way instead of the 3-way or the fox pro pedal... just make sure that the 4-way fits the bike properly before you buy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts