Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Specialized FSR extreme with a rock shox coupe deluxe rear shock. The shock seems to be shot, it leaks oil, makes sucking noises, and worst of all acts like a pogo stick. I want to purchase a different shock to replace it and I have some questions.
1. My shock (on the bike) measures 6.25" eye to eye. is this the lenght I need?
2. Can I use a shock with a different eye to eye length?
3. Suggestions on a suitable replacement?

I dont want to sink too much money into this bike, but it is not that fun to ride in its current condition.

Thanks for the advice!!!

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Shock length

pipes1212 said:
I have a 1998 Specialized FSR extreme with a rock shox coupe deluxe rear shock. The shock seems to be shot, it leaks oil, makes sucking noises, and worst of all acts like a pogo stick. I want to purchase a different shock to replace it and I have some questions.

I dont want to sink too much money into this bike, but it is not that fun to ride in its current condition.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Doesn't that model have a 6.5" shock? I thought '97-'99 FSRs had the same length, but I admit I'm not familiar with that "Extreme" description. I'm relatively certain a 6.5" Fox Vanilla would fit. That is probably the most shock for the money that would be suitable for your FSR. I have a '99 FSR Enduro and an '00 FSR Big Hit (an amped-up FSR). I've had various shocks on both of them, along with different links. The regular Vanilla and Vanilla R work well on these models. Other shocks can be fitted to these frames, but the Vanillas are cheap and can usually be found in the 6.5" to 6.75" lengths. If you can dig up a link from Specialized or from an old '00 FSR Big Hit frame, it makes an unbelieveable upgrade to the '97-'99 FSRs with a 6.75" Vanilla R. Of course BETD makes a lot of stuff for these older FSRs, but they get pricey. Here's a pic of the '99 FSR with a Big Hit link and a 6.75" Vanilla R. I'm suspicious that even the links off of '00--'01 FSR Enduros will also fit, but I haven't had the opportunity to try and fit one.

Attachments

·
2,548 Posts
pipes1212 said:

Thanks for the advice!!!
Not tryin' to be a wisea$$, or anything....but
1: yes, if that is the stock shock, then 6.25" eye-to-eye is the length you need.
2: Remotely possible (but not likely) - I'd contact Specialized and find out FOR SURE - there would likely be interference with frame, etc, with a longer shock eye-to-eye.
3: I'm unfamiliar with the bike and with the shock, but the best replacement would be a shock from a "name brand" manufacturer (RS, Fox, CC) with an eye-to-eye of 6.25" and whatever stroke dimension your present shock has.
Not being a wiseguy, just want ya to know that manufacturers spec a certain size/stroke shock for very specific reasons, and usually you're limited to that size only, due to frame design/dimensions. E-mail or call specialized, I'm sure they'd be most helpful :)
Good luck !!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Cross post this in the Specialized section and ask if anyone has fitted a 6.5" shock to your frame and ask if there are any issues. Because 6.5" is a very common size and cheap on eBay. How much money did you want to spend? You could upgrade the bike a bit and get an SPV shock while you are at it.

My '97 FSR also had a 6.25" shock on it, i parted out the frame, didn't sell the rear shock because its pretty old and never been rebuilt but if you want to buy it send me an email. Its a Fox Vanilla Rx w/piggy back reservior.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Ratt, is yours a standard FSR?

Ratt said:
Cross post this in the Specialized section and ask if anyone has fitted a 6.5" shock to your frame and ask if there are any issues. Because 6.5" is a very common size and cheap on eBay. How much money did you want to spend? You could upgrade the bike a bit and get an SPV shock while you are at it.

My '97 FSR also had a 6.25" shock on it, i parted out the frame, didn't sell the rear shock because its pretty old and never been rebuilt but if you want to buy it send me an email. Its a Fox Vanilla Rx w/piggy back reservior.
You're right about potential shock and link contact with too long a shock, but the standard FSRs from '97-'99 will all accept a 6.5" shock. I wasn't familiar with the "Extreme" model, but it's hard to believe that it had dramatically different linkage and frame design. There were also extruded frame design models in those years, but again, very similar shock/linkage design. In fact some of the piggyback shocks would only fit on some of those extruded frame models and not the standard tubing FSR. Of course one always has to be careful when experimenting with different shock lengths.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
TNC said:
You're right about potential shock and link contact with too long a shock, but the standard FSRs from '97-'99 will all accept a 6.5" shock. I wasn't familiar with the "Extreme" model, but it's hard to believe that it had dramatically different linkage and frame design. There were also extruded frame design models in those years, but again, very similar shock/linkage design. In fact some of the piggyback shocks would only fit on some of those extruded frame models and not the standard tubing FSR. Of course one always has to be careful when experimenting with different shock lengths.
I had one of the Max backbones ones (extruded) was a real head turner back in the day and nothing back then rode or handled as well. But of course after the bearing kit was installed the frame was way over 8lbs. I think you might be right about my piggy back not fitting his frame without some grinding.

·
Not sure what to type?
566 Posts
Looks like a Cloud Nine will fit it...

Cane Creek show that the Cloud Nine is compatable with the 1998 G.C. FSR Extreme. Just give them a call and they should be able to set you up.
Looks like they are still doing the upgrade special. You can get $100 out of you old shock when you buy a Cloud Nine.

Here's the link to the compatablity chart:
Link

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Pipes,
I had the same bike a few years ago, and went through replacing the shock.
The correct length is 6.25" or 160mm. A 165mm or 6.5" does fit, but it pushes the rear end down quite a bit, and really messes with the angles. I can't recommend it.

I managed to find a Risse Genesis 160mm on Ebay, for around $90 - $100. It bolted right on, and after an oil change (standard for used shocks) was great. Much better than the Coupe Delux, even while it rode well.

I know Cane Creek makes shocks to fit, and the AD-5 shouldn't be too expensive. I'd say Ebay's worth a shot, though - I just replaced the Fox Float-RL on my Superlight with a CC AD-12 for $86. Even came with the right spacers, and gives me maybe half an inch more travel, and adjustable compression. There's a lot out there, just be sure to ask questions and check the seller's feedback.
Jon

pipes1212 said:

Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a 1998 FSR and was in a similar situation. I went from a 6.25 Rock Shock to a 6.5 Stratos to a 6.75 Fox Vanilla with a BETD link. The original shock and linkage only gave ~3 inches of travel while BETD link gives either 4.7 or 5.8. Here is my bike now:

If you want to keep the bike, I would recommend a new shock - pick up a used 6.5 X 1.5 on e-bay if you want. If you are really desperate I can give you my old Rock Shock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.