Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into fixing my rear derailleur shifting problems and would like to hear from you on the recommended update options that will help getting rid of skips and grinding sound with my rear derailleur on lower cassette rings.
I would like to tell you that I spent already endless hours trying to adjust the shifter and rear derailleur, but no matter what the settings are it is not getting rid of the problems.

I came to conclusion that I will need to upgrade rear derailleur and possibly the chain, but I am not 100% sure about it. I am willing to spend around $150~$200 to get it fixed.

My bike is old 2002 Cannondale Jekyll 1000 and here is my drivetrain setup, some updates were done later:
Shifters: Shimano XTR (I do not see any model number on them :confused:)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR RD-M960 (I think it needs replacement, but it does not show visible damage)
Rear Cassette: 9 Speed SRAM PG 990 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32T
Front Crank: RaceFace Atlas AM 44-32-22T
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace-XTR 7701 9 Speed Chain (I have not changed it for years...)
Cables are old as well but good quality....

I would like to upgrade my setup to newer parts, but not sure what to get that will work with my shifters that I really like. Cassette and crank are the newest parts on my bike, so I assume they are good. I am open to any recommendation.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am looking into fixing my rear derailleur shifting problems and would like to hear from you on the recommended update options that will help getting rid of skips and grinding sound with my rear derailleur on lower cassette rings.
I would like to tell you that I spent already endless hours trying to adjust the shifter and rear derailleur, but no matter what the settings are it is not getting rid of the problems.

I came to conclusion that I will need to upgrade rear derailleur and possibly the chain, but I am not 100% sure about it. I am willing to spend around $150~$200 to get it fixed.

My bike is old 2002 Cannondale Jekyll 1000 and here is my drivetrain setup, some updates were done later:
Shifters: Shimano XTR (I do not see any model number on them :confused:)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR RD-M960 (I think it needs replacement, but it does not show visible damage)
Rear Cassette: 9 Speed SRAM PG 990 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32T
Front Crank: RaceFace Atlas AM 44-32-22T
Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace-XTR 7701 9 Speed Chain (I have not changed it for years...)
Cables are old as well but good quality....

I would like to upgrade my setup to newer parts, but not sure what to get that will work with my shifters that I really like. Cassette and crank are the newest parts on my bike, so I assume they are good. I am open to any recommendation.

thanks.
HIGHLY unlikely the derailleur is the issue.
Look at these first.
Worn cassette cogs.
Worn chain.
Misaligned derailleur hanger.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cassette cogs are in really good shape.
How would I check if the chain is worn?
Pretty much impossible to see worn out cassette cogs.

Chain pins are spaced at 1/2". If at 12" the chain is 1/16" or more longer, it is shot.
A badly worn out chain usually has worn out the cogs and chainrings, too.
... Chain (I have not changed it for years...)
This probably means the chain, cassette and chainrings are trash.

You need a hanger alignment tool to check and fix the hanger.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If it that bad, I will get quickly this chain:
Sram PC-971 9SP Chain 2012 > Components > Drivetrain > Chains | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
and try it to see if there is any difference. It will not cost that much, but at least I will try it before doing a big upgrade...

I still do not want to believe that cassette and chainrings are trash...
Would it help if I post some pictures?
A new chain on worn cogs and rings will shift and skip worse. Run the new chain on the old cogs and you will quickly ruin the chain.

No, pics are useless.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Sounds like the cable/housing to me. That's been the cause of ninety percent of my shifting issues. Try that before changing the chain, which might cause the wear/mating issues mentioned above.

And don't skimp on them. You don't have to buy gore but good quality cables/housing are smoother and last longer.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It should fit, if that's what you are asking. Excelllent reviews. Another option is the alligator kits at pricepoint.

Use a small nail to "round" the housing if it flattens when you cut it, sandpaer to remove any burrs. Run the cables to the der's before cutting to prevent fraying.

Gently pull on the cable while pressing the triggers on the shifter when you remove the old housing to make sure the shifter isn't gummed up. You may want to go ahead and spray some dry lube in the shifter while working tghe triggers, to be safe.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
HIGHLY unlikely the derailleur is the issue.
Look at these first.
Worn cassette cogs.
Worn chain.
Misaligned derailleur hanger.
everything he said.. but I'd look at hanger alignment first.. it's about 90% of all mis shifting issues.. honestly cables are usually the least likely.. but far from impossible.. but where you state that it's only doing it in some areas of the cassette I'd point to the hanger alignment as #1 to check first.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
thomllama is right about the hanger being the likely problem if it only occurs on one side of the cassette. I missed that bit of info when reading through this and fixated on the old cables.

I change rear cables and the bottom loop of housing at least once per year and and housing every two years to keep shifting buttery smooth. The conditions you ride in will affect how long they last.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts