Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I planned to build up a set of DT Swiss XM481/EX511 wheels for my hardtail earlier this year. However, due to supply issues EX511's have been out of stock for months with no date for more to come into the builder I purchased from. He told me he has lots of Stans, Spank 350/359s and XM481s.

My question is, do I just go with XM481s F/R or should I change out to a stronger rim from Spank or Stans?

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,678 Posts
According to Spank, the 359's an ASTM5 (downhill/free ride/enduro rim), the 350's an ASTM 4 (enduro/AM) rim. I actually have both, and have been happy with them. I prefer the 350 on my hard tail because it's wider internally so a slightly higher volume tire. Stans, depends on which rim.. since the model wasn't mentioned. Although, I've had flows that I really liked.

· since 4/10/2009
37,135 Posts
I have XM481 rims on both ends of my hardtail. I'm a touch under 200lbs geared up and I ride fairly rough terrain on 2.6" tires. I use Huck Norris inserts to protect my rims and while I do notice a few odd impacts, the inserts do just enough to avoid rim damage.

· Registered
505 Posts
If you want to establish a selection bracket, I just dented a WTB i40 on a case of a jump ~3 ft high. I weigh 280 lb equipped and was running 25 lb on WTB Ranger 2.8. On the same jump I also bent my steel rail saddle, so it was kind of rough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.