Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
elbow gloves
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gearing up to do some 1-3 day bikepacking and shopping around for a rear rack. I'm pedaling around a RIG which has some eyelets but i'm concerned with disk brake caliper clearance on the rack. Tire clearance is another issue, I see various racks listing 700c wheel clearance, but what about a 2.3 Exi? I'm looking at the Old Man Mountain Sherpa, for its lack of load stop, and I know Scott Morris has used it on his 29er. I like the reparability of steel vs. Aluminum (tubus racks) but don't know if its a real issue.

What do you guys use?

Matt

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Old Man Mountain makes a great rack.
You won't be disappointed with the Sherpa. Loads of 29er clearance and holds quite a load. It attaches via a longer than normal quick release run through both the rack and the wheel and two arms that grab onto your canti mounts. If you don't have canti mounts you can purchase adaptors for your frame. I had to call Channing and get longer mounting arms for my 29er but he was happy to do that for me.
For full disclosure: OMM sponsors my race, the PMBAR, but I'd use their products either way.
~E

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I'd probably go with the OMM, just because of the disc clearance issue.

Having has aluminum racks fail on me out on the trail, I do love the steel Tubus racks, which are lighter to boot. I used to use a lighter-duty Tubus 700c rack for commuting. Super nice, but would only clear a 700x40-ish tire on my KM, and that was of course without a disc mounted. Not sure if the heavier-duty Tubus has more clearance. If you could jerry-rig some way to mount it a couple inches higher (out of the way of the disc caliper), you could go with a 26" Tubus and have plenty of tire cleraance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.