Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to find these options on rear hubs. are there advantages/disadvantages? can they be used interchangably on the same frame or do you need special drop-outs for each kind - specifically would either of the 3 work on a Ventana rear end?

·
Registered
560 Posts
From what ive found out QR and 10mm are interchangable, it just depends on whether your hub is or not

12mm is specific to the rear of the bike and as of yet isn't well supported by bike maufactures.

Adding a 10mm bolt to the rear is supposed to be similar to running a 15/20mm up front in that it stiffens the rear end up. Disadvantages is that you'll need another tool in your kit to get the rear wheel off

Although DTswiss do a 10mm rear that seems the same as the maxlelight

This is just info ive pulled of these boards as im still running QR front and back (ive been looking into my new bike setup)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
as wpuk said....the QR and 10mm thru bolt (like DT Swiss RWS or Hadley axles) both fit the regular 10mm rear dropouts.

for a through axle setup you need through axle dropouts (like the rear Maxle or bolt on setups)

I run a 10mm bolt-on setup on my Ventana El Saltamontes and a 10mm RT RWS on my El Terremoto.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thanks. i don't have a wheelset yet, so all these options are still open. so it seems the 10mm bolt-on set-up is a good way to go if you're starting from scratch. and it appears it'll work with the Ventana rear ends. i'm guessing the bolt size is nothing I wouldn't already have on a multi-tool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.