Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI...

Doing some hard efforts being blocked at the front and normal propedal (position level 1) standing on the pedals and hammering hard, you can hear the rear end of the bike like "crack crack"...like the pivots flexing or something like this...Could it be because of the frame flex caused by the hard pedaling and that makes the pivots turn in "not normal" angles...??

The bike made that sounds since day 1, so I supossed that it was normal...Also, could I use some drops of finish line dry oil to lube the contact points?...Or just live with that?

BTW, when pedaling hard on the saddle, it`s totally quite...just at the third or four pedal stroke when hammering out of the saddle...

Could it be that the pivots bolts are too tigh?...the rear shox does it jobs trough all the travel when hitting hard rocks..and it seems to do it without any hard sound or compromise...

Thanks a lot for your feedback...as you can see this is my first FS bike ;)

bye

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I`ve never have dissamble this pivots, so I think that they "should" be lubricated by the factory...
Wich pivots use grease, the ones at the bottom bracke?or the ones that are at the bottom of the rocker plate?

thanks!!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The large black aluminium bolts where the bearings are located benefit from having the pivot bolts greased where there is metal to metal contact (bolt to bearing, washer to frame). The rear most pivots use the IGUS plastic bushing and don't need grease.

Lubrication:
Grease is required where the bolt contacts metal such as a bearing or the frame. On the Model Year 2007 frames we have installed IGUS bushings where the bolt contacts frame and no grease is required at this contact point but is required where it contacts the bearing. Grease is also used to torque the MY2007 bolts and screws.

Similar problem cropped up for another Element owner

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415304

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, rocky I`m cleaning the bike to prepare for this stuff. I was reading the pdf document you posted and it seems that I need some press fits for the bearings. So, if I remove the long bolt of the main pivots and grease it, is ist enough? or should I remove the bearings from the frame and all that process?...

Also I see from the diagram and your last post, that the bearings should stay in place without any need of pressing or removing them, when I loose the large bolts they should come out easy and also should come easy the washers...is this correct?...I think that just greasing the large bolt and then the washers is more than enough.

BTW, should I use blue loctite or red loctite for those long bolts?...
number 4 and 5 from the diagram...

thanks man!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
You only need to worry about the bearings if you're changing them, they ought to stay in place just fine. The most likely situation is that the 12mm bolts don't have enough grease on them where they pass through the bearings, or enough grease under the conical washers where they contact the frame or bearings. If you remove the bolts and the conical washers and leave everything in place, grease 'em up and reinstall them, it will likely fix the noises.

The Loctite 242 (medium strength) for the bolt threads is the blue stuff

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same noise coming from my Element 70 and changed to an XT bottom bracket, problem solved. Race Face cranks and Shimano BB are compatible.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys I already lubed the long bolt and the washers. It was totally dry, no grease at any point and the washer, the parts that are in most contact with the frame were drier..so...

I did lube all that stuff with a light coat of grease. Regarding the posts about the crankset, I did lube before this "issue" all the bearings and cleaned everthing...So I`m 99% sure that the problem was there, at the pivot that touched the water during a race were there were like 7 river crosses ;)

I will test it tomorrow and will report feedback here...BTW, looking at the diagram the washers of the lower pivot go just as the ones of the upper pivot (lower part of the rocker plate) ?...I think that I`m correct, just wanted to verify with the guys that know their stuff...

Thanks a lot!! this forum have been extremely helpfull!!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
From the manual regarding the washers...

Conical Washers Explained:

There are TWO thicknesses of black conical washers: 4mm and 2.5mm. The dimensions are 4 x 20 (OD) x 12 (ID) and 2.5 x 18 x 12. With the exception of the Switch, each 12mm hardware frame utilizes both washers. Refer to the exploded view diagrams for each frame for a detailed description of where they can be found.

Where 4mm washers are found:

Element
• Main Pivot (2)
• Seat Tube Pivot (2)

Where 2.5mm washers can be found:

Element
• Upper Seat Stay/Link Plate Clevis (4)

They're identified in the list below and the parts diagram.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.