Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I'm just about to choose between ZTR hub DT 240 for rear wheel, and would appreciate the opinions of folks that had chance to use both of them.

ZTR hub is a bit ligher (i believe), from the other side DT is pretty famous for quality.

Photos provided by culturesponge (hope you are ok to re-use these photos)

Front hub:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What rims are you planning to lace them to and how close to the weight limit are you on them? The flanges on the dt are different heights so stans warned me away from them due to the fact that I'm close to the weight limit on the 355s/crests. The different flange heights force you to use different length spokes on either side, which on a rim that doesn't take high tension can make for a weaker wheel.

In terms of longevity I'd take the 240 over the stans any day. Stans are light and fairly cheap. 240s are light and durable but not cheap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tiflow_21 said:
What rims are you planning to lace them to and how close to the weight limit are you on them? The flanges on the dt are different heights so stans warned me away from them due to the fact that I'm close to the weight limit on the 355s/crests. The different flange heights force you to use different length spokes on either side, which on a rim that doesn't take high tension can make for a weaker wheel.

In terms of longevity I'd take the 240 over the stans any day. Stans are light and fairly cheap. 240s are light and durable but not cheap.
ZTR Notubes 29" rims.
Currently I'm at 180 lbs geared for race. So what you'are saying that for Crest it would be better to go for ZTR hubs ?

·
Hassan's Ghost
288 Posts
I actually ride both. Depending on who you are, I'd just assume get the ZTR.

I beat the piss out of mine for two years, laced to 355s. Cracked em' open twice to clean and each time they were surprisingly clean. Likewise, they were very easy to service. That said, if you are a fatty, maybe I'd look elsewhere.

As for the 240's, what's not to like other than the price (and spacing)? The only reason I bumped over was I wanted a race specific wheelset and could prodeal em'. If I were to pay retail, no question I'd have bought ZTRs.

Another way to think about this is that the rim is pretty much a disposable part, where as the hub should be good to go for years. In that light, get the best hubs possible.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
maon said:
ZTR Notubes 29" rims.
Currently I'm at 180 lbs geared for race. So what you'are saying that for Crest it would be better to go for ZTR hubs ?
Yes, 180 is pretty close to the weight limit on the crests, and the crests aren't exactly super stiff. I went with king hubs on 355s, I'm between 180-190 when racing. In addition to plugging their own hubs stans tried to push american classics or hopes. When comparing flanges and spacing the kings and hopes were pretty close, so I went with kings.

Hopefully some more experienced wheel builders will be able to offer more insight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
tiflow_21 said:
The different flange heights force you to use different length spokes on either side, which on a rim that doesn't take high tension can make for a weaker wheel.
Don't most rear wheels have different spokes already because of the cassette? i.e. dishing concerns?

Looking at my 240 hubs, the "brake" side of the hub is taller (talking back hub here) ... so I would think that would make the spokes more similar in length. The back wheel, in my opinion, is the one that is more stressed. Between supporting more direct weight, being a drive wheel, and presumably a rear disc ... there's is a lot more tension on the spokes. And if my hypothesis is correct ... the stan's rim would be stronger with the 240 hub in the back because of more equal spoke lengths.

Joe

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have them both and you can't loose going eitherway. Weight is not an issue with either set and both have been very durable. It really comes down to what you need it for and future changes. The DT Swiss shine in that they are convertible to nearly every format possible. The regular ZTR hubs only have a 15mm end cap conversion, but their HD ZTR hubs have 20,15, QR and the 12x142. I probably would not spend the extra loot on the DT 240s as I have in the past.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had ZTR's on my hardtail almost 2 years and on my Nomad for a year, both with no issues at all. Granted, I don't live where I ride in mud often but I'm completely happy with them. I've smacked the rear end of my hardtail enough to break a frame and separately break a saddle but the bearings still run smooth despite a pitiful lack of maintenance.

Don't get me started on the poor design of the 20mm ZTR hub flanges though....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I should add that this is the race only wheelset (i do around 700 miles a year in races), and indeed the bugdet is limited.... the price difference is 50% so its noticable i would say (i can get the Crest rims for the difference).

Also these new ZTR titanium hubs looks (and weight) really great, but i guess the price point will be similar to DT rather to current ZTRs....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have both. Pretty much every positive and negative stated I agree with. If the ZTR hubs are half the price are they half the hub quality and perfomance wise? My answer is no, get the ZTR's.

G

·
I just purchased Flows/Hopes at Orion Cycles for the same price as a Flow/ZTR set directly from Stan's. If the ZTRs worry you or you'd like some color choices, it's a good way to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.