Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a great quality 135mm 32 hole rear hub for light to moderate-duty mountain biking usage (not downhill based). Will be paired to an 819 UST rim. Something with a great track record.

The criteria:

-Quiet!
-Sealed bearings
-lighter weight
-Not Hope, CK or Hadley

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
I would suggest a White Industries MI6 rear hub.

It comes in two flavors. One with a Stainless Steel Freehub Body and a Ti Freehub body. The Stainless one clocks in at 306 Grams, and the Ti is even less. The best part is that a Ti freehub body won't have the problems that Hope's and Kings have with cassettes chewing up the free hub body. Their hub bodies are also one piece for greater strength. They don't use crazy proprietary bearings, just standard 6802-2rs and 6902-rs sealed bearings so service should be easy. They are made in the USA in Petaluma, CA.

I will be picking up a new custom wheelset later this week w/ White Industries hubs (Ti rear) laced to Stans Olympics with DT Revolution spokes for a 100% American Made wheel. When I saw the White's first hand I was blown away. They roll so incredibly smooth.

As far as cost they are MSRP'd at $235 for the Steel Freehub and $270 for the Ti version. The front's are only $140.

edit: Ti freehub rear weighs in at 286 grams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jawndoe said:
I would suggest a White Industries MI6 rear hub.

It comes in two flavors. One with a Stainless Steel Freehub Body and a Ti Freehub body. The Stainless one clocks in at 306 Grams, and the Ti is even less. The best part is that a Ti freehub body won't have the problems that Hope's and Kings have with cassettes chewing up the free hub body. Their hub bodies are also one piece for greater strength. They don't use crazy proprietary bearings, just standard 6802-2rs and 6902-rs sealed bearings so service should be easy. They are made in the USA in Petaluma, CA.

I will be picking up a new custom wheelset later this week w/ White Industries hubs (Ti rear) laced to Stans Olympics with DT Revolution spokes for a 100% American Made wheel. When I saw the White's first hand I was blown away. They roll so incredibly smooth.

As far as cost they are MSRP'd at $235 for the Steel Freehub and $270 for the Ti version. The front's are only $140.

edit: Ti freehub rear weighs in at 286 grams.
Hi jawndoe,

The MI6 sounds like a great hub, which I am admittedly not that familiar with. However, I will check it out. Thanks for the reply!:thumbsup:

idig2000

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Dt Swiss would be my best reccomendation. Solid, light, quiet, excelent quality, and if you ever do need it excelent customer service. I would probably say the 340 would be your best choice.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Dude,

Even though you seem to be against it, I run CKs on a set of 819s. They rule! More quiet than some others, although not silent, and you can't beat the engagement.

Not sure why you are against them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are good options out there such as DT Swiss as previously mentioned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shmack said:
Dude,

Even though you seem to be against it, I run CKs on a set of 819s. They rule! More quiet than some others, although not silent, and you can't beat the engagement.

Not sure why you are against them?
I'm not against Hope, CK or Hadley at all - It's just that I already know about them and I am also interested in other hubs that folks here have used and can recommend. There seem to be a good variety being mentioned.

Thanks for the recommendations folks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about Shimano, I know they are not the lightest, but they work very well and are quiet as well, no problems with the bearings as well. They are a bit like Toyotas, nothing fancy but work very well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Havoc's

I picked up a set of the Easton Havoc's for a good price and have been quite impressed by them. Although they are not XC light, they are fairly light, especially as a trail/AM setup, and are very stiff.

I replace a set of 1600gr Mavic 317/Hugi hubs with these and won't look back. I was always worried when blasting through roots and rocks on the lighter rims and could feel the flex. Not so on the Havoc.

The other point is the engagement. Not certain on number pawls or degrees to engage, but it feels as quick as the Hadley that I use on my big bike. The Havoc hub is not noisy, but does have a sweet buzzing/whirling sound.

Good luck on the new wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.