Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a sandy, wet ride last week, I started pulling apart my rear axle and hub assembly to clean. The hub is a Shimano FH-M475, which is part of the Alivio group, I believe. I disassembled everything back to the freewheel body (so basically just the axle, rings, ball bearings, and cassette), cleaned and re-greased everything, and put it all back together. I just got done cleaning after another ride and noticed that there is no clicking when the wheel is spinning freely. I don't know much about what goes on inside the hub, but I think every click is a catch point of engagement??? My concern is that there's the potential to strip the hub while climbing or other times when the torque is high. I've put it through the paces up and down the street, and it is performing well. Is the lack of clicking something to be concerned about and what needs to be done about it? Thanks for any advice and / or insight!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to get some of that click back, you can pull the freehub body off and relube it with something light (like Triflo). You'll hear more clicks (is that a good thing?) and you'll have immeasurable less rolling resistance, but you'll need to start performing this ritual on a semi-regular basis.

Just ride the bike - if you break an Alivio hub (which I've never seen), it just means you get to get a better wheel.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
When I service my free hub bodys I always flush them with brake clean, pack the bearings with phill's grease re-install the seal, then fill it with 80w90 gear oil. This combo I have found gives the best balance of lube and the ratcheting sound you are looking for. Some of my friends accually use lucas oil treatment instead of gear oil it's about 120w and makes for a real quiet hub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.