Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend my American classic disc lite hub died. the engagement quit working due to a few reasons. wtb and also the bikeshop i was at agreed it could be fixed but wasn't worth it if i was just going to use it for singlespeeding again. I managed to ruin it in about 5 months of hard riding.

Is there a way I can make this thing into a fixed gear hub without major work involved temporarily while i figure out what new hub I'm going to get built up?

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
hmmm....

how about filling the ratchet mech with jb weld??? :D

just kidding, i'm not sure about that one. i'm not sure how other's exprience with wtb customer service is, but i had a really bad time with them. they're just hella slow. good luck with that.

as for the rear hub, what's your spending limit??? if you can go king then great. if you're looking for the ss cassette disc hub, get in line. king is really slow (i have been waiting for a bolt-on axle upgrade for my classic rear hub for about 3 months now). it's just plain ridiculous, i don't give a damn how good their products are.

check out the new ss cassette disc hub from hadley. quicker engagement than the king, about $280 (so it will probably be abit cheaper), just as durable, availiable in a few colors, ti cassette body, no wait to get one. the only drawback it that it weighs abit more than a king. check this thread;
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=30960&highlight=hadley

also, hope makes some great hubs for the money. the bulb and xc models are very reliable. the bulb is abit more heavy duty, but there is NO weight penalty since it uses at ti freehub body.

heck, if you're in a hurry, then just go xt disc. it's a boat anchor, but it's reliable and works really well.

just a few alternatives.

cheers!

Spookykinkajou said:
this weekend my American classic disc lite hub died. the engagement quit working due to a few reasons. wtb and also the bikeshop i was at agreed it could be fixed but wasn't worth it if i was just going to use it for singlespeeding again. I managed to ruin it in about 5 months of hard riding.

Is there a way I can make this thing into a fixed gear hub without major work involved temporarily while i figure out what new hub I'm going to get built up?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think Sheldon Brown has an article about brazing a freehub body together to make a fixed gear hub. Check his site. Surly makes a thing called a "Fixxer" that replaces the freehub body on Shimano hubs, but I don't know if it would work (or be made to work) on a non-Shimano hub.

--Shannon "out of ideas" Menkveld

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
How about a Boone cog to bolt on to the disk mounts. You won't need them running fixed anyway. :D

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lack of King availability is what made me post this. I would strongly prefer the King but have a very hard time waiting for one unless i can just do fixed gear for a few months. I really like the instant engagement on the King and I wonder if the Hadley is the same?

I would go with a regular King disc hub but I worry about tearing through yet another hub that's not designed for SS'ing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.