Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rear hub are you guys running? I placed an order for a 150mm WFO and now scouring the internet for the most appropriate hub/rim combo... finding alot of 135mm x 12mm thru availability (even some off-the-shelf wheelsets), but getting a little nervous now that it seems like the 150s are much more rare. Trying not to slip into buyer's remorse about not getting the 135mm....:eek: !!

Found Hadley, King, Hope (but no I-9 Maverick, American Classic, Mavic C29ssmax....) -- do they all use the same width between flanges? Seems like the flanges are different distances from the rotor mounts in the pictures. Wouldn't you want to have the maximum distances between flanges for strength? Or does it make the spoke angle too great?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I laced up a Hadley to a Velocity P35 rim, 36 hole. I haven't picked up my frame yet but it's in. The Hadley isn't that much more than the Hope, I believe it was $268 at Balle Racing, and it has more engagement points but requires more maintenance than the Hope.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Big,(over 190 200 lb) , heavy and a masher, go with the 3 pawl, 36 point engagement. Sit and spin rider, occasional trials ratcheting, lighter rider, go with the 4 pawl (only 2 at a time engaged, because the carrier for the pawls is clocked) 72 point engagement.

I've run them both, you can't really go wrong with the 36 point engagement, it's one of the strongest hubs around. Just stay on top of maintaining it. If it starts getting loud and ratcheting sounding, you need to pull the axle, clean it up inside and relube with Hadleys PTFE teflon oil. A Hadley hub, when serviced regularly and in spec with lubrication, should be very quiet, especially the 72 point model. If it sounds "buzzy", it's dry and needs lube.

135mm on a 2010 RIP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JMH said:
Rare? Are King, Hope, Hadley, Saint and DT not adequate? :D
clarification: rare, meaning that you can't find a bunch of off-the-shelf wheelset examples ready to go (C29ssmax, American Classic, etc.), and you actually have to "botique-bike-style" pick the hub, spokes, rim individually.

Thanks for all comments thus far - too many choices can sometimes lead to post-purchase anxiety (e.g. did I pick the right rear triangle :confused: ). Feeling OK again with the 150 choice.

It would be great for "overanalyzers" like myself if Niner would've just put an appropriate wheelset in a WFO 150 party pack (with the Kodiaks already pre-mounted tubeless!) so we don't stress on the myriad wheel build options and save some coin on these pricey hubs LOL. Maybe they could throw in some off-the-shelf wheelsets with the 135 party pack and keep the deal a smokin' one. Name it the Rolling Party Pack (RPP since they are three-initial branded) or something.

"Niner, I'd like to order the $2599 RPP 150 please" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just so you know, American Classic does have a pre-built 29er wheelset with a 150mm rear hub. I have been riding my All Mountain 29er wheels with a 150 rear and a 15mm thru axle front for about 6 months. They are killer strong, not too heavy and have excellent stiffness for steering precision.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so there really can be an RPP 150

whydomylegshurt? said:
Just so you know, American Classic does have a pre-built 29er wheelset with a 150mm rear hub. I have been riding my All Mountain 29er wheels with a 150 rear and a 15mm thru axle front for about 6 months. They are killer strong, not too heavy and have excellent stiffness for steering precision.
Thanks for the tip! MSRP under $800 for the set and steel faced cassette body (hello 36T), another serious option to throw in the mix. For some reason, all of my google searching for 12mm x 150mm hubs, wheels, etc. never turned these up. Now I'm really feeling comfortable with 150. mtbr - what a great website.

By the way, have you tried tubeless with them?

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
There are few cheap 150 hubs out there.
The flanges are too tight on the hope pro2, real shame,

I am using a 150mm from a dismantled prebuilt 24seven bikes rear wheel as my second wheel set, seems amazing for the £35 I spent on it.
strong, plenty of engagement points, cheap

not as nice at the CK, but at less than 10% of the price

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.