Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you used the problem solvers rear boost adaptor kit? i'm thinking it may be my only option beyond unbuilding a very nice wheel with a Hadley hub and getting new hub and rebuilding a rear wheel from scratch. at huge expense. i'm wondering how strong the whole thing can be and how likely it's going to result in a broken rear axle.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
The heck? It’s just two 3mm spacers and a spacer for the brake. It’s stupid simple. I use boost conversions on 4 wheels. Get one or a couple of the ones on eBay, they are dirt cheap and work great. Don’t buy one that forces you to redish the wheel unless you actually want to make your wheel weaker.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm a bit naive as to the role the hub axle plays, vs the bike's frame axle. so the simple spacer solution is no big deal, you can ride as per before, no issues you're saying. the problem solvers version says a redish to the non drive side is required. i thought the dish to the drive side wasn't ideal, and the redish (to a more even spoke angle on each side) would be stronger. as i said wheel building tech isn't my strong suit.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
i'm a bit naive as to the role the hub axle plays, vs the bike's frame axle. so the simple spacer solution is no big deal, you can ride as per before, no issues you're saying. the problem solvers version says a redish to the non drive side is required. i thought the dish to the drive side wasn't ideal, and the redish (to a more even spoke angle on each side) would be stronger. as i said wheel building tech isn't my strong suit.
I'm not sure why people are drawn to these kits that force you to dish the wheel (so you don't have to space the brake rotor over). Again, a big PITA to redish and it makes your wheel weaker. Generally, 3mm isn't a big deal, but many people will use their old cranks, so the symmetrical kits put the wheel and cassette exactly where they were before, which means it runs exactly the same as before. This was well within my derailleur's range (had to re-adjust limits obviously). With a boost crankset, you might have to space the ring over closer to the frame, either by spacers on the opposite side or a different offset ring, but I'm blowing this out of proportion, this usually does not need to happen.

This has no effect on your hubs or axles. RS even introduced "spacers" known as torque caps, slightly different purpose, but the end caps of most hubs are also "spacers". There's no real downside here. You can silicone them in if you want them to stay in place better. I've raced hundreds of miles on them, as in 100+ endurance racing, 50 mile races, summer race series (just started this summer's series tonight!).

Here's a picture of it looking down: Bicycle accessory Shotgun Air gun Synthetic rubber Shadow

If you have centerlock hubs, things get trickier, but not impossible, but good ole 6 bolt hubs are easy to space over with these kits. Here is one such conversion kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boost-Hub-...=254187066777361c3bcad0954934a7fa52129ec9667b

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i have RF cinch cranks (new) the aforementioned Hadley hub 142, 6 bolt and the frame is a Commencal Meta TR 29. which of the many options, would work best, with the least amount of faffing, and no dishing if possible? they all seem nearly the same with a brake spacer and 2 3mm spacers.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
The heck? It's just two 3mm spacers and a spacer for the brake. It's stupid simple. I use boost conversions on 4 wheels. Get one or a couple of the ones on eBay, they are dirt cheap and work great. Don't buy one that forces you to redish the wheel unless you actually want to make your wheel weaker.
The Problem Solver's 142 to 148 rear boost adapter is a single 6mm axle spacer w/ the 6mm disc spacer. This obviously requires a re-dish. I threw it on the stand and did the re-dish and also checked the amount of spoke to nipple depth which was fine on this wheelset. Problem Solvers lists the dual 3mm as a front kit but it can obliviously work in the rear just having the cassette spacing 3mm inboard.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
The Problem Solver's 142 to 148 rear boost adapter is a single 6mm axle spacer w/ the 6mm disc spacer. This obviously requires a re-dish. I threw it on the stand and did the re-dish and also checked the amount of spoke to nipple depth which was fine on this wheelset. Problem Solvers lists the dual 3mm as a front kit but it can obliviously work in the rear just having the cassette spacing 3mm inboard.
For the love of god, you don't have to spread your frame apart with the wrong spacers. A front kit is not a rear kit, they are different spacers, but they are easily available. There is some kind of error if they are claiming a "problem solver" front kit is 3mm spacers. THEY MAKE ALL KINDS OF 3mm SPACER KITS ON EBAY! Are you guys just going to some specific website to only see these dish-spacing kits? I even posted a link above!? Just go to ebay and type in "rear boost adapter" "boost 148mm adapter" "142 to 148 boost kit" and similar names. They show by the dozens, if not hundreds.

Maybe I'm just taking crazy pills, but I go for the simplest solution. Boost adapters with symmetrical spacers, brake spacer, bolt it up and go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
have any of you used the problem solvers rear boost adaptor kit? i'm thinking it may be my only option beyond unbuilding a very nice wheel with a Hadley hub and getting new hub and rebuilding a rear wheel from scratch. at huge expense. i'm wondering how strong the whole thing can be and how likely it's going to result in a broken rear axle.
Hey,
I looked quite a bit into converting Hadley from 142 to 148, as well as the front. Hadley made a dedicated conversion kit for both ends, altho the front needs to be either the
600110 (DH - https://www.balleracing.com/hadley-...ts/hadley-dh-front-110-x-15mm-boost-adapt-kit)
or 600100 (XC - https://www.balleracing.com/hadley-...ts/hadley-front-xc-110-x-15mm-boost-adapt-kit)
version of the hub...the pin spanner ring is bigger on the newer version than the 500xxx series of hubs.
But, about the rear... (HG version - https://www.balleracing.com/hadley-...ts-parts/hadley-sdh-rear-148-x-12mm-adapt-kit)
They also have a XD version, altho I didn't see it on the page. The drawback is these aren't cheap...way more expensive than the ebay spacer versions.

The redishing evens out the shallow and deep dish side tensions...not fully, but also not insignificantly...so in theory, you do end up w/ a stronger wheel. I'm using a DH front and a XD rear on a set of converted 600xxx series hubs. I rebuilt them onto different rims, but same spoke lengths everywhere.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've dealt with the front by using Hope torque conversion end caps. easy.

the PS kit with only 1 spacer seems odd to have 1 big spacer on one side.

Hadley has redesigned the new axle kit, the above one is no longer. the new one will accommodate micro spline going forward. it will be very expensive. they are a few weeks away in production.

unfortunately for me, this is the only thing holding up my bike build and all shipping options are a couple weeks minimum as nothing is made or available in Canada. frustrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the love of god, you don't have to spread your frame apart with the wrong spacers. A front kit is not a rear kit, they are different spacers, but they are easily available. There is some kind of error if they are claiming a "problem solver" front kit is 3mm spacers. THEY MAKE ALL KINDS OF 3mm SPACER KITS ON EBAY! Are you guys just going to some specific website to only see these dish-spacing kits? I even posted a link above!? Just go to ebay and type in "rear boost adapter" "boost 148mm adapter" "142 to 148 boost kit" and similar names. They show by the dozens, if not hundreds.

Maybe I'm just taking crazy pills, but I go for the simplest solution. Boost adapters with symmetrical spacers, brake spacer, bolt it up and go.
Thanks for the tip. Building up a new bike and rear wheel off old frame turned out to be 142mm. This was despite the front being boost and bike advertised as boost in 2017. I have hubs for new wheel build but... you know how that movie ends. So your advice is timely. Ordered kit off Ebay 10 minutes ago for $15 delivered! Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.