Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new bike with ethirteen TRS Boost wheel in the back. After some unfortunate user error I had to take it to my LBS to get the rear wheel re-taped. After picking it up I now hear a clicking sound only when free-wheeling.

The sound is twice per rev (click, click.......click, click.......). And it's only audible when free-wheeling at walking speed (so totally unnoticeable while riding). I've checked as best I can to ensure it's spokes, or any other kind of rubbing.

I don't really mind it, but since the wheel is brand new, I'm wondering if I should take it in to have the hub taken apart? Could it be anything serious?

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you take the wheel off do you still get the sound when you spin the cassette by hand?

The other thing could be rotor rubbing on the brake caliper. See if you still get the sound freewheeling with the rear brake gently engaged

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you take the wheel off do you still get the sound when you spin the cassette by hand?

The other thing could be rotor rubbing on the brake caliper. See if you still get the sound freewheeling with the rear brake gently engaged
Lightly braking and freewheel still has sound. The sound is there when I turn cassette by hand. It's a new wheel, so I assume I should take it in. But is a small click a big deal usually?

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
Small that doesn't belong can become a fail far out on the trail. You could be walking back a long way. So this is the time to find out what's up. I'd take it in and hang while the service tech took the hub apart so you can learn how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
You sure it's the hub? I have a little tiny piece of something that knocks around inside my alum rim. Not sure what it is, but it makes a similar click, click sound that you describe, at slow speeds. It's always been in there. I don't notice it most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.