Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just been in contact with Commencal and they confirmed for me that my rear hub has sealed bearings, with a nut and lock nut on left side like this:
Am I right in thinking that in order to tighten it up (I've got a little bit of play between the axle and hub) I need to loosen off the lock nut ( 9 ), tighten down the nut ( 8 ) and then tighten the lock nut back down again?

Cheers for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Yes. Do you have some thin cone wrenches?

The idea is to get it JUST snug enough that there's no more play and no tighter. Tighter will press on the bearings and cause them to bind and wear out faster. If you can cobble together an axle vice to clamp it on a tabletop vice without hurting the axle, that works best. Otherwise, make the adjustment, bolt the wheel into the frame, and test for play again. Make a few attempts unit it's just right.

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Yes. Do you have some thin cone wrenches?

The idea is to get it JUST snug enough that there's no more play and no tighter. Tighter will press on the bearings and cause them to bind and wear out faster. If you can cobble together an axle vice to clamp it on a tabletop vice without hurting the axle, that works best. Otherwise, make the adjustment, bolt the wheel into the frame, and test for play again. Make a few attempts unit it's just right.
Good advice. When I got my latest used bike, it was apparent the previous owner hadn't adjusted the rear hub in a while, as there was a fair bit of play. I took it off and adjusted the hub as the OP described. It took a few tries without a stand, which is annoying with a singlespeed setup, as there's no QR bolt. Managed to do it without thin cone wrenches, too, but I think that was more luck than anything.

Easy and worthwhile maintenance.

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'm just about to order a cone wrench since I havent got any skinny ones. I think its a 17mm, does anyone know for sure?
Thanks!

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I went to order the cone spanner I thought I'd poke around since the lock nuts can be removed with a normal adjustable spanner. Turns out I can move around the nut pictured as number 8 easily with my fingers. I adjusted it in and in really slowly until the wobble had gone.However, at this point the wheel spins quite roughly and the axle itself (2) will barely spin in the hub by hand when its out of the frame! I'm sure it isnt that I've over tightened the system since both these were the case before I got to the point where the wobble had gone. Whats even more confusing is I don't think either happened before I started fiddling with it so I'm totally stumped now!

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Before I went to order the cone spanner I thought I'd poke around since the lock nuts can be removed with a normal adjustable spanner. Turns out I can move around the nut pictured as number 8 easily with my fingers. I adjusted it in and in really slowly until the wobble had gone.However, at this point the wheel spins quite roughly and the axle itself (2) will barely spin in the hub by hand when its out of the frame! I'm sure it isnt that I've over tightened the system since both these were the case before I got to the point where the wobble had gone. Whats even more confusing is I don't think either happened before I started fiddling with it so I'm totally stumped now!
Sounds over-tightened to me. Is there no play in the axle? If it was that way before you fiddled with it, maybe you need to replace the bearings. In my case, when I tightened the bolt pictured as 9, it would turn 8 just slightly, so if I set it right before tightening 9 down, it'd end up being too tight at the end, and holding the wheel, I could feel the resistance while spinning. It took a little guesswork, but I finally worked it out to remove play and not feel rough.

Like I said, if it feels rough even when there's a little play, you may need to replace your bearings, unless something else is going on that maybe you didn't notice.

·
Wally on Wheels
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've just taken the whole thing apart to check on the bearings and the non drive side one is buggered. To add insult to injury as well the drive side nut is seized onto the axle! My bike seems to really hate me at the moment :lol:. I think it might be time to hand it over to the local bike shop and let people who know what they're doing sort out my mess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.