Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I went to change the rear tire on my "wife's" 5-spot last night. When I went to reinstall the rear wheel, I noticed that the der. hanger was a little loose. On closer inspection the rear-most bolt on the hanger was loose. I tried to tighten the bolt, but it just kept spinning in place. I took out the wheel off again and took out the bolt and it was about 1/2 the size it should be and looked like it had been sheared off from the middle. This is a first for me...Anyone else ever have this happen?

FB

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
So, the head of the bolt sheared off, and the shaft of it is still in the hanger? Yup, I've never heard of that.

Those bolts just hold the hanger in place while you have the wheel out of the frame. When the wheel is installed the rear wheel's skewer is what holds the hanger tight.

If you can somehow weasle the busted off shaft out of the hanger (may be tough to grab), I'm sure Turner will send you a new bolt. They are tiny and kind of special, so I doubt the local hardware store has them, but you never know. Turner hangers are a little soft so you may want a spare or two anyway...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, actually half of the shaft had sheared off, or was at least missing. The rest of the bolt flopped out when I went to tighten the bolt (it was loose and I thought I just had to tighten it). I haven't been able to find one and I called turner yesteday to order a couple of replacements but haven't heard back from them yet. It was late yesteday so I shall try them again. Weirdest thing that has happened so far on the spot...other than the fact that it hasn't yet made my wife the mtb fan I thought she'd be after she rode it the first time...oh well I guess I'll have to ride it! :D

Thanks for the reply!

FB

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
FatB said:
No, actually half of the shaft had sheared off, or was at least missing. The rest of the bolt flopped out when I went to tighten the bolt (it was loose and I thought I just had to tighten it).
I'm going to guess that the wrong spec bolt ended up in the der hanger bolt bin, and the guy assembling them didn't notice. It probably did not shear (it's made out of steel, and everything around it is aluminum, so the bolt would be the last thing to bust), but rather was just too short to begin with.

I think replacement hangers always come with new bolts, but I'm not positive. Remember to ask.

Have fun...

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
new hangers should come with bolts

I sheered my hanger off yesterday,clean off.I was a little dissapointed it broke so easily but it saved my deraileur.I carry a spare so no big deal,I am surprised that more people don't carry spares.

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Me too...

KgB said:
I sheered my hanger off yesterday,clean off.I was a little dissapointed it broke so easily but it saved my deraileur.I carry a spare so no big deal,I am surprised that more people don't carry spares.
The first ride I did on my Burner, I broke the derailler hanger due to a nasty case of overconfidence brought on by my new, fast ride while out on the brute known as Chumash Trail.

I now keep one in the pack, and yes, it came with the bolts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.