Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of the Hayes rear 22mm mount disc brake and looking at a replacement such as the Avid Juicy 7 with a Hayes 22mm to 51mm IS adapter for my 98 Homegrown 4-Banger. Anyone successfully mount a different rear disc?

·
smell my finger
290 Posts
What you are gonna need is an "A-2-Z" brand adapter, 22mm to I.S mount. I have Avid Mechanicals mounted onto my 4-Banger. You have to use a 180,185 mm rotor because the adapter mounts the caliper farther out. The set up will work best with a 180mm rotor, with the 185mm rotor I have to shim the caliper with some washers to get proper clearance, but it works great.

·
smell my finger
290 Posts
Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A2Z-Rear-Disc-B...5QQihZ016QQcategoryZ58082QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think you are going to need to use a disk brake caliper with a IS direct mount. These are different from most calipers because most (like the avids and hayes) use post mount to IS adapters. With the 4-banger, the brake caliper hangs off of the back of the drop-out so clearance is not an issue. On the hardtails and Sweetspots, the caliper and the adapter have to fit inside the rear triangle.

The price point adapter pictured is not the one. The ballracing adapter might work but it is designed to "go the other way" from an IS mount on the bike to a caliper with the 22mm post mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.