Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear disc adapter for Schwinn dropout holes?

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jcaino 
#1 ·
I have a new Aluminum frame Schwinn mountain bike I received as a gift from my wife for my birthday this year. I really like the way it rides, the frame is solid and the Shimano components are fine for my needs. I will be replacing the crap Suntour M2000 pogo fork with a Dart 3 in a few weeks since most of my riding is XC on root covered single tracks. My other plan is to eventually upgrade to a set of disc hub wheels and install a set of BB7 calipers, front and rear. The Dart 3 has a post mount, so I'm OK there. My chain stay dropouts don't seem to have a traditional mount for a caliper. There's two holes, approximately 25 mm apart (or about 1"), but I'm unsure if there exists a caliper mount for this hole setup. Any one have any idea if I'm dreaming, or is a caliper mounted to these holes possible?

Pics below:

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah.. your frame is not made for disc brakes (those are rack/fender mount holes) ...you would need to look for a "conversion kit" if you still want to go forward with it..

alternatively, you could get a mechanical disc for the front (where you need most power) and keep using your stock v-brake levers..

#4 ·
Thanks all. I thought those holes looked too close together to be for a disc mount. I'm still wondering if I bought one of these mount adapters, if I drilled, tapped and Heli-coiled a few holes in my frame, could i mount this Trek adapter? I'd prefer to have dual discs...

#5 ·
seems like a lot of hassle, enough material there to do that? (especially if using the rack/fender holes as the starting point)... and something like an a2z adapter would likely work fine for about 35 bones to be done with it.:D
RowlettRider said:
Thanks all. I thought those holes looked too close together to be for a disc mount. I'm still wondering if I bought one of these mount adapters, if I drilled, tapped and Heli-coiled a few holes in my frame, could i mount this Trek adapter? I'd prefer to have dual discs...

#7 ·
This is what you need to look for. Unless you are in a hurry, shop around a bit though. Prices seem a bit higher than usual but that may just be a reflection of the market. I've got one on my Schwinn and tried to use the holes for extra stability of the mount, ended up buying another mount. Some people don't care for them because they say the adapter slips a bit but as long as your dropouts are flat you shouldn't have any problem keeping it on tight.

What model is your Schwinn you are putting it on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.