Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which RD will be compatible with both of my current shifters set up for two different bikes? Both bikes have 9 speed cassette. I have an 04 Shimano XT Dual Control shifter & brake together, the other bike I have Sram SX-5 Trigger shifters. I want to get a RD that will work with these shifters. I know the XTR M970 RD will work with my current XT Dual Control shifter.
If I get the XTR M970 RD, will it work with my current Sram SX-5 Trigger shifters?
If I get the Sram X.0 9speed RD, will it work with my current Shimano XT Dual Control shifter?
Any help or suggestion you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
706 Posts
there is no such RD. Shimano uses a 2:1 ratio while SRAM uses a 1:1 ratio. Why? are you planning on switching the RD over every time you want to ride the other bike? The only other option would be to get a SRAM Attack Twister Shifter, then you could run a Shimano RD on each bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
jdgang said:
there is no such RD. Shimano uses a 2:1 ratio while SRAM uses a 1:1 ratio. Why? are you planning on switching the RD over every time you want to ride the other bike? The only other option would be to get a SRAM Attack Twister Shifter, then you could run a Shimano RD on each bike.
I'm learning somethings new everyday, it best to keep Shimano to Shimano and Sram to Sram. Now I know it does not work.<O:p</O:p
I'm planning to move my current 04 XTR RD to my wife bike with the Sram SX-5 Trigger shifters. I want to try the Sram X.0 9 speed RD with the Dual Control for now, and slowly upgrade to all Sram components in the future. Her bike have rim brake, mine is disc.<O:p</O:p
Thanks!<O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
btc said:
I'm learning somethings new everyday, it best to keep Shimano to Shimano and Sram to Sram. Now I know it does not work.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I'm planning to move my current 04 XTR RD to my wife bike with the Sram SX-5 Trigger shifters. I want to try the Sram X.0 9 speed RD with the Dual Control for now, and slowly upgrade to all Sram components in the future. Her bike have rim brake, mine is disc.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>
Ummm...first you said you learned not to mix SRAM and Shimano and then say you are going to try it? I guess you are going to learn first hand it will not work.

You also need to learn that the forum size tags do not work, either. Best not to copy and paste from Word. Does things you did not intend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Ummm...first you said you learned not to mix SRAM and Shimano and then say you are going to try it? I guess you are going to learn first hand it will not work.

You also need to learn that the forum size tags do not work, either. Best not to copy and paste from Word. Does things you did not intend.
Sorry, It was a stuppid question, hope it help other, I did a search and find people mix component for the front shifter & FD, but I could not find any thing for the Sram rear shifter and Shimano RD combo. Thought I ask first before I go out and buy.

Yes I was using word at work, and didn't want to leave mtbr reply window open, my boss walk pass my desk too many time. I'll remove the size tags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts