Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past season I "upgraded" my old FSR to a GT. So far I've really enjoyed the GT, but it doesn't seem to shift all that well. It sometimes skips gears, sometimes it won't shift and sometimes it phantom-shifts. I've had the cables replaced and the bike tuned twice. This is a 2001 GT I-Drive with a Deore LX derailleur that may have seen better days. I know deraillers aren't terribly expensive, but would it be worthwhile to kick it up a notch, maybe to an XT derailler? The shifters are older XTR.

I'm suspect a direct replacement might be a huge improvement, although I'm not sure if the models are the same as they were six years ago. Would a little nicer derailleur (XT?)be noticeably nicer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Derailleurs themselves are pretty durable and somewhat dumb, i.e. they aren't as important as the shifters performance-wise. If your current derailleur is straight and the pivots are in reasonably good working order it shouldn't cause the problems you describe; if the derailleur isn't the problem you'd see little difference in going to the XT IMHO. What is the action like in the shifters themselves? Your problems may come from a bent derailleur hanger as well. What did the shop tell you on each visit? You should learn to adjust them yourself, it's not as hard as it seems, try sheldonbrown.com or parktool.com for instructions.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The XT has a higher rate spring than the LX, so will assist with sharper shifting. However, as Bikinfool' said, your shifter is where it's at and XTR is about as good as you'll get. It's highly unlikely, though, that a shifter would contribute towards gears slipping and ghost-shifts; the domain of frame/hanger integrity and worn cassettes or chains.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hangar shouldn't be bent. At least my LBS didn't think it was. Replacing the cables made a ton of difference in shifting ease.

Funny you should mention Sheldon Brown's page, as I have had it bookmarked. I just haven't taken the time to try and tune the derailleurs myself.

You pretty much answered my question. I've heard different things regarding the derailleurs, such as bikes will only shift as well as their cheapest components, etc. However, I'm not totally convinced the rear derailleur hasn't been clunked a few times and isn't operating as it should. Since an 'upgraded' derailleur probably won't do me a ton of good, I think I might go ahead and look for a direct replacement just to be sure. It's my understanding the LX ones aren't terribly pricey. Plus, the 'rapid-rise' models are intriguing to me. I might have to investigate those further.:D

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I understand everyone's point on it doesn't sound like the derraileur, but sometimes unusual problems are only fixed by replacing. I keep seeing the Shimano XT rear der. on closeout at Jensonusa and think I should buy it simply for backup. $49 seems like a steal. If you're so inclined to kick it up a notch, go for it! It is a 9-spd, I'm not sure if that's what you need or if it matters. I think the shifters are what designate 8 or 9 speed indexing

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
That is one way to do it; since I manage to whack a derailleur every now and then I always carry a spare (an XT). Like Ewarnerusa says, f in doubt you can always put a new derailleur on and see if it solves the problem and have a spare if it doesn't...and yes, the shifters are what are 8 or 9 speed, not the derailleur itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.