Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
All Mountainer
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, lately my rear derailleur has been playing up, i shift a gear and some times the chain doesn't shift but the derailleur moves? is this because i have lubed the chain to much it sticks? or can it be it is not tunes correctly as i have tuned it 3 times now and it is spot on. or can it be the cable has stretched some more and needs tightening?

Also i have a clicking noise in my right shifter but i think its the cable. if i jiggle the cable where it connects to the shifter it makes a click noise and it never did this before. Is this caused by some grit or dirt on my lines that house the cables? i dont know why its happening.

Cheers, Jason

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jaso, I'm no expert on this, but I've been fooling with my rear derailleur a lot lately, after I put all my stuff on a new frame. I have noticed that after the top and bottom limits are set, and I can shift without issue with bike in stand, still more fooling around needs to be done while riding.

The barrrel adjuster where the shift cable exits the shifter, and/or where the cable enters the derailleur need to be tweeked a bit. What I have not been able to determine is exactly which way for what circumstances...like shift up rough, or shift down rough or no shift up or down only for some gears and not others, and so on for all the crap that happens instead of a perfect shift.

My LBS seems to get it right, so I may head over there if I don't get it figured out, or if I don't see all the solutions somewhere in MTBR.

Someone should take a perfectly tuned rear derailleur, and introduce everything that could go wrong one by one, and create a table of symptoms. That would be cool, at least as a reference.

Dunno about your clicking noise.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Adjusting the derailleur for trim and/or shifting is very easy. Turning the adjusters to the left tightens the cable, moving the derailleur towards the inner cogs, and would make shifting in that direction more agressive, though if you go too far it'll be at the expense of the response in the opposite direction.

In a perfect world the shifting will be equally responsive in either direction when the dreailleur trims out perfectly centering on each cog. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect so you'll have to fine tune for the best balance of shift response and trim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clicking noise at the lever end might be bacause your cable is binding slightly in the housing, which is a common problem in wet or muddy conditions. Test the rear loop by shifting into a middle gear, then plucking the cable away from the downtube. The derailleur should shift to a larger cog and return crisply back to where it started.

To test for binding in the handlebar/downtube section, shift to a middle cog and use a marker to put a reference dot somewhere on the exposed wire along the downtube. Shift up and down and the dot should return to the same spot in the same gear. Also upshift one click to a smaller cog, note the position of the dot and pluck the wire. If you pulled a bit of slack down out of the housing, the cable was binding.

·
All Mountainer
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys, ive fixed my rear derailleur problem and it shifts perfectly now but just need to loosen the cable a bit at shifters so its not so tight shifting to the smallest cog.

I shall try that with the cables to fix the noise.

Cheers, jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.