Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
when shifting to higher gears, the chain keeps coming off the lower cog. And skipping What needs to be adjusted? Thanks
After google'ing its the tension pulley, where the chain falls of track when shifting to high gear

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi-

I'd like to help you, but your description of the problem is a bit vague. Try reposting, with more particulars,
What components, how many mikes on them, what you mean by skipping - on the cog or off the side of the pulley? Does this ocur only during the shift, or while riding in certain combinations?

The more deatils you give the greater the likelyhood that someone here might be able to help.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Did the problem start after a crash or something? Is this a newly installed derailleur? A new bike? Could be a messed up hanger, could be cable tension, might be the H-screw. More info would be good; your description is hard to understand....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Guys even after reading OP I can barerly understad myself.
Bike is a 24spd, I ride on second gear upfront mainly, when I cycle through the gears from granny to high gears that is when the chain falls off track. At the lower pulley on deraileur, not clompletely just enough that chain is bouncing all over when I pedal. IOTW when Im in 2(front)-8(rear). When Im In 2-1 its fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
First off, how old are the parts and how much abuse have they seen? I can never seem to dial in my RD until I put a few bends on the hangar. If its ever more than 10 minutes to adjust I know the hangar is off. So if you know your hangar is straight and your cassette/chain are in good shape, I would suggest adjustments.

If you bring your FD to the top and your RD to the bottom you should get silky smooth results (make sure the cable isn't tight even after adjusting screws) - adjust the L until you do. The do the same with FD at the bottom and RD at the top (pull the cable to get it the top) - adjust the H screw until its smooth. The park website should give you the details.

If you have the limits setup correctly, and everything is straight, it will shift silky smooth and fast. If your having problems getting it to stay in gear your cable tension could be off or parts might not be straight. If you think tension is on the light side try using the barrel adjustment on the shifting pod as a fine adjustment.

Anthony

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
Take your bike and a 6pack of beer to your LBS and ask them to show you how to adjust the derailleur:cornut: .
This is a pretty good idea. I developed a ghost shifting problem after cracking and replacing a derailleur hanger. Had the derailleur adjustment checked at my local shop; no problems apparent. Back on the trail, the problem came back, big time.

Back to the shop, this time I worked with one of the owners. Turns out the new hanger was bent just enough to induce problems under load.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts are newish~ about 4 months old. I upgraded from alivio to deore components And yes they gotten abused in the sense that I ride alot about 65-70mi per week. Some crashes nothing major. Cassette looks ok no bent teeth, chainring aswell.

dan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor101
when shifting to higher gears, the chain keeps coming off the lower cog. And skipping What needs to be adjusted? Thanks
After google'ing its the tension pulley, where the chain falls of track when shifting to high gear

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

all you need to know
Im going to try this too.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Victor101 said:
Parts are newish~ about 4 months old. I upgraded from alivio to deore components And yes they gotten abused in the sense that I ride alot about 65-70mi per week. Some crashes nothing major. Cassette looks ok no bent teeth, chainring aswell.

Im going to try this too.
sounds like bent hangar, easy and cheap to straighten or replace, good to have a spare in your camelback too. check the hanger first , then adjust deraillier if necessary

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think its important to note that even a new hangar might not be straight for your bike. I would suggest you either get the tool or bring it to the bike shop, if you ride off road alot it will be less expensive to buy the tool.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
agabriel said:
I think its important to note that even a new hangar might not be straight for your bike. I would suggest you either get the tool or bring it to the bike shop, if you ride off road alot it will be less expensive to buy the tool.
+1:thumbsup: best $40 I spent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.