Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my rear derauleur housing has gouged my frame where it crosses the bottom bracket. The cable is routed correctly across the top of the BB according to the Yeti site. I'm going to put some protective tape there to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Is this a common problem and does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
582 Posts
VaughnA said:
I just noticed that my rear derauleur housing has gouged my frame where it crosses the bottom bracket. The cable is routed correctly across the top of the BB according to the Yeti site. I'm going to put some protective tape there to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Is this a common problem and does anyone have any other suggestions?
I have the same problem and tried to solve it with different carbon stickers but after some rides in mud the stickers also get rubbed of. I would also like to hear some longterm solutions to this problem :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know why Yeti think thats the best routing solution. I take mine under the BB instead, its a much more natural curve for the housing to make, looks cleaner, and doesn't rub on the frame.
No issues with the housing being damaged or anything being under the BB either. Recommended.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
VaughnA said:
I had some rubbing at the very beginning... but one strip of clear tape takes care of it..since then..no issues after...

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I put an old inner tube around the bottom bracket in that area. Works for about 1k mi before it get rubbed off.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I don't have my bike in front of me right now but from what i remember of how i routed the the r. der cable housing, i have a little slack between the stop on the down tube and the stop on the swing arm creating a little space between the housing and the bb shell so it doesn't touch even when the suspension is fully compressed.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
flipnidaho said:
I don't have my bike in front of me right now but from what i remember of how i routed the the r. der cable housing, i have a little slack between the stop on the down tube and the stop on the swing arm creating a little space between the housing and the bb shell so it doesn't touch even when the suspension is fully compressed.
but you route it under the BB, right?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
crisillo said:
but you route it under the BB, right?
absolutely... under the bb is the straightest way to go from the down tube stops to the stops at the bottom of the chainstay on my 05 frame.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
flipnidaho said:
absolutely... under the bb is the straightest way to go from the down tube stops to the stops at the bottom of the chainstay on my 05 frame.
yeah.. I have thought about switching mine under.... (against Yeti's recommendation... oh the horror)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
crisillo said:
yeah.. I have thought about switching mine under.... (against Yeti's recommendation... oh the horror)
i think with full housing, the routing is not as critical as if you were using split housing... i'll take a look at mine...
i was able to dig up a picture of the bike that kinda shows the routing under the bb with the "slack". shifting with SRAM X9/X0 has been perfect (your results with Shimano maybe different however).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
flipnidaho said:
i think with full housing, the routing is not as critical as if you were using split housing... i'll take a look at mine...
i was able to dig up a picture of the bike that kinda shows the routing under the bb with the "slack". shifting with SRAM X9/X0 has been perfect (your results with Shimano maybe different however).
No with Shimano it should be better. That double "S" turn that you get when you route over the bottom bracket really affects the shifting of shimano triggers. I had a much lighter action with the shifters on my previous bike.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cable rub

I was starting to get a groove worn in the BB shell from the cable as well. I did as Ratt did and put a piece of old innertube around the BB shell, it works great and you can't even tell it's there (I have black ano frame). I didn't think about rerouting the cable underneath the shell, but I may have to look into that.

Edit: Here's a pic

Attachments

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm going with the tube for now and will reroute under the BB when I replace my housings.

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
I noticed this happening on mine as well. I have dealt with it by making sure the brake hose (steel braided goodridge) is fixed so it sits comfortably above the BB and then zip tie the gear cable housing alongside to lift it clear of the frame.

·
Bomber
982 Posts
I have always had mine under the BB and convert customer's bikes to that as well. Our standard procedure with housing si to cut it as short as possible (only lets the bars turn 180). This makes for quite a short, clean, and low drag setup. When the shock compresses it just pulls a little bit of housing from the bars, and when you yardsale the bars just pull a little bit from the BB. All said in done, a very clean look with no rubbing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Does anyone else get ghost shifting when the suspension compresses well into it's travel? I tried re-routing mine to under the BB but it still does it. I guess I'll try making the housing just a little bit longer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quiet storm was the first one to mention that this was a 575 specific problem. Definitely not an issue on any of my 7 Yetis.

I was reading and wondering.......

575's seem REALLY popular. I wonder what % of the current Yetis sold are 575s. I think I would guess 75%.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
QuietStorm said:
I just got my 575, and I don't know all this terminology yet, where should I put the clear tape to prevent this issue?

Thanks.
That will depend on your cable routing.
Basicaly every place the cable can rub against the paint during motion. I get some rub at the front of the stearer tube where my front break cable rubs the frame.
I don't see that as a critical issue though.
Enjoy your new ride:)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here's another place to put some clear tape, if you don't already have a chainstay protector. This was caused by the rear derailer cable housing. Please note that the rub caused by 2 years of being transported laying down in the back of my truck is purely cosmetic. The rub caused by the rear derailer cable is not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts