Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I tried searching extensively for help, but turned up nothing.

Ok, here's the newb question: I've got a Deore LX RD-M571 rear derailleur and I've got a couple different problems with it, but that's not the point - I'm looking to just upgrade it. I've never changed out a rear derailleur so I don't know what to look for, or anything about the specs. I'm looking specifically at the Deore XT series, but I have no clue what really distinguishes one from another, i.e. Conventional or Low Normal Return Spring, Standard or Low Shadow Profile, Medium or Long Cage.

So I guess I'm just looking for a quick Rear Deraillers 101 so that I know which one I should finally pull the trigger on.

Thanks for any and al help!

·
Doctor
264 Posts
_Lac_Man_ said:
Hey all, I tried searching extensively for help, but turned up nothing.

Ok, here's the newb question: I've got a Deore LX RD-M571 rear derailleur and I've got a couple different problems with it, but that's not the point - I'm looking to just upgrade it. I've never changed out a rear derailleur so I don't know what to look for, or anything about the specs. I'm looking specifically at the Deore XT series, but I have no clue what really distinguishes one from another, i.e. Conventional or Low Normal Return Spring, Standard or Low Shadow Profile, Medium or Long Cage.

So I guess I'm just looking for a quick Rear Deraillers 101 so that I know which one I should finally pull the trigger on.

Thanks for any and al help!
Since you're having problems, be sure your derailleur hanger is straight. If it's bent, a new derailleur won't help.
Low Normal derailleurs shift the opposite of yours. Pushing the thumb shifter will go to a smaller rear cog. Do you want this?
Standard profile is field-proven and durable. Jury's still out on the Shadows..
With triple chainrings, you may need the Long Cage. It depends on how much bigger your large ring is than the granny, and how wide the gear range is in your rear cassette. The derailleur specs will tell you how wide this range can be. (Big chainring - small chainring) + (Big sprocket - small sprocket) = derailleur capacity

jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.