Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few good deals on Ebay for both Sram X.0 and XTR rear derailleurs, but many of them of GS, SGS, long or short cage, high/low normal or high rise. Which of these are compatible with the Rush and would work with a 2x9 setup?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Long cage

If you are going to run a 34T cogset, use a long cage der. Other than that, what shifter are you planning on using? That decision is going to determine what mfg you will use.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've actually decided that I will go for whichever derailleur works best for the 2x9 system I want to run. Dan, I believe you recommended this because the bike will be around 25 lbs or so when complete. If I could use any shifters, I would choose the X.0 twisters, but I know that requires using the X.0 rear derailleur. I've heard various opinions about high or low-rise, with some claiming that one causes less wear than others. I lso thought that maybe going for a sharter cage ould save some weight, but probably not much.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
TalonSL said:
Well, I've actually decided that I will go for whichever derailleur works best for the 2x9 system I want to run. Dan, I believe you recommended this because the bike will be around 25 lbs or so when complete. If I could use any shifters, I would choose the X.0 twisters, but I know that requires using the X.0 rear derailleur. I've heard various opinions about high or low-rise, with some claiming that one causes less wear than others. I lso thought that maybe going for a sharter cage ould save some weight, but probably not much.
If you prefer X.0 twisters, go with them and a get a X.0 rear derailleur. Stay with a long cage if you use a 11-34 cassette and a 44T big ring. Medium cage derailleurs work fine if you go 2 x 9 but by taking off the big ring, not the small one. And they are not much lighter anyway.

As for Shimano Low/High normal, one doesn't wear faster than the other but, I never remember which is which but the ones made for Dual-Control levers are more sensible to dirty cables, so it's a good idea to use a full length cable housing with them...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dan. I've found a few X.0 derailleurs on Ebay pretty cheap, and I'm bidding on some twister shifters. We'll see if I win those. It's too bad you can't run Shimano derailleurs with Gripshift anymore. :)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you can.

TalonSL said:
Thanks Dan. I've found a few X.0 derailleurs on Ebay pretty cheap, and I'm bidding on some twister shifters. We'll see if I win those. It's too bad you can't run Shimano derailleurs with Gripshift anymore. :)
you just an not use X type twisters.

If you want to run Shimano deraileurs, and grip shifts, you need Attack shifters instead of XO, X9.

I know it ran on, but do you get me?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check it out, but you know how it is having to have bling parts. :D I have a set of old 2001 XTR rapidfire shifters that are in relatively good condition, so I may use those and go XTR if I don't win the twisters on Ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.