Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a shimano altus rear derailleur that i want to change because it is garbage and noisy. anyway, i want a shimano deore XT and it says it is for Mega-9 drivetrains but my bike is a 7 speed with that mega range big cog in the back. i was wondering if this derailleur will work with my set-up or if i should look for something else. thanks

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Yes, it will work fine

ericmccull11 said:
i have a shimano altus rear derailleur that i want to change because it is garbage and noisy. anyway, i want a shimano deore XT and it says it is for Mega-9 drivetrains but my bike is a 7 speed with that mega range big cog in the back. i was wondering if this derailleur will work with my set-up or if i should look for something else. thanks
If you want to spend a bit less go with the LX. Quality is about the same almost half the price.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Shayne said:
If you want to spend a bit less go with the LX. Quality is about the same almost half the price.
Yup, go with the LX. Doubt you'd notice the difference between LX and XT on a 7sp drivetrain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I will, but is there a difference in the tension spring tightness between the two? That is a big deal with this new one because I ride urban and some trials but i jump off curbs and i hate my chain clanging around. Thanks agian.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
ericmccull11 said:
Alright I will, but is there a difference in the tension spring tightness between the two? That is a big deal with this new one because I ride urban and some trials but i jump off curbs and i hate my chain clanging around. Thanks agian.
There is a difference, but it is very negligible. The main differece between the two is XT is lighter and shifts a little crisper. I've used an LX and have an XT now. Jumping off a curb makes my chain clang as well with either one.

If chain clanging is your issue, check your chain length. It may just be too long. Also put tape or tie wrap an old tube to your chainstay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts