Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snapped my rear der. in the woods today so it's time for a replacement. I wasn't all that fond of the Shim. LX on there anyway, so now i guess I'll use this as an upgrade opportunity. Not sure what to get, looking at LX, XT and Saint. The Shimano Saint M800 at $24 seems to be a a decent and inexpensive upgrade, however, i don't have a Saint rear hub, so im not sure if i can use the Saint Derailleur. Is there an add on part that will allow me to use it?

Also, I've got shimano shifters, can i use a SRAM RD?

What do you guys think? The Der. I broke was an LX, so im not too sure about just getting another one to replace it, as it probably will just break again. What are you guys running on your FR rigs?

thanks--

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Dude! This must be the day for that kind of thing. I snapped my XT. I was just peddaling along through some single track when I heard what sounded like a weed in the spokes, then all of a sudden I couldn't pedal any more. Bent the cage, snapped the casting, bent some spokes and tweaked the chain. Jenson USA has the old XT 750 for $49, but I was thinking I would splurge on the new XT Shadow. I know you have to use SRAM shifters with the SRAM der. You can get closeout X.9 & X.7 stuff for a pretty fair price.

Attachments

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
tacubaya said:
I would get another XT, they are pretty tough IMHO
I've broken two...they're really not that tough.

I would upgrade your entire drivetrain to a X.9 System. I have yet to experience any problems with my SRAM drivetrain, my Shimano drivetrain had problems weekly.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
if you wanna stick with shimano get a 105 der. all stainless steel, burly, and you can get them in cages that are smaller then the xo micro cage (less chance to catch one). they are dirt cheap too, like 60 bucks or so.

if you want to step up to sram do it. to me it's like shifting a Ferrari (or insert favorite exotic brand here) vs. shifting a toyota. The toyota works, but its just no Ferrari.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Sram shifts like smooth and with no clicking, more like a gradient while Shimano shifts precisely with feeling... I like Shimano shifting a bit more

Of course Sram has more advantages like no cable loop and better perfomance in the mud though!

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
tacubaya said:
Sram shifts like smooth and with no clicking, more like a gradient while Shimano shifts precisely with feeling... I like Shimano shifting a bit more

Of course Sram has more advantages like no cable loop and better perfomance in the mud though!
U seen the new xt? no cable loop. still a finicky turd (calm down people... it's just my opinion) like previous years, and now it's even easier to break!

sorry to all the shimano lovers, I have broken too many of them, and haven't even bent my x9 yet, and i've been riding it twice as often, and bashed it numerous times into stuff.
Before my shimano stuff if it got scratched would start to miss shifts and ghost shift on me, but i've smashed my x9 into a rock, sheared a der hanger off, scratched the hell out of the der, and i ended up bolting it back onto a new hanger and it shifts as if it was new out of the box No adjustment needed. sram for me please.

Edited for clarity. it still isn't very clear though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Raptordude said:
I've broken two...they're really not that tough.

I would upgrade your entire drivetrain to a X.9 System. I have yet to experience any problems with my SRAM drivetrain, my Shimano drivetrain had problems weekly.
listen to the man. he preaches the truth. FCUK SHIMANO! sram for the win :band:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

Hairllama, mine looked almost exactly like that, except that mine was slightly more dramatic, as i broke the cage, hanger bolt, pulleys and chain, and then part of the mech. was flung about five feet :eek:

It's really a toss up now between the 105 and the XT M761. I'm really into the SS body of the 105, as it seems as though it would be much more resilient to being smashed against rocks, ladder bridges etc. I've heard alot of DHers running roadie mechs, but untill now haven't really thought about doing it myself. I'll see what eBay turns up. The M761 also seems like a good deal, i found a bunch of them on ebay for under $50, so it seems like an okay and inexpensive option. I'd go for the Shadow, but it doesn't really look like its rugged enough for my hack-style, crash twice a ride, technique.

The M761 is offered in both long and short caged models. Seems as though the shorter cage would keep the cage, pulleys, and chain higher up and help prevent sticks and branches from getting sucked in, but is there any other reason to opt for the shorter cage?

I'd love to make the move to SRAM, but I'm 14 and currently have no job and can't drop 180 bones on a new drivetrain. SRAM's 1:1 actuation ratio is really tempting, but this derailleur is going to be coming out of my new chainguide fund anyway, so i don't want to break the bank too badly.

thanks--

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
dowst said:
hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

Hairllama, mine looked almost exactly like that, except that mine was slightly more dramatic, as i broke the cage, hanger bolt, pulleys and chain, and then part of the mech. was flung about five feet :eek:

It's really a toss up now between the 105 and the XT M761. I'm really into the SS body of the 105, as it seems as though it would be much more resilient to being smashed against rocks, ladder bridges etc. I've heard alot of DHers running roadie mechs, but untill now haven't really thought about doing it myself. I'll see what eBay turns up. The M761 also seems like a good deal, i found a bunch of them on ebay for under $50, so it seems like an okay and inexpensive option. I'd go for the Shadow, but it doesn't really look like its rugged enough for my hack-style, crash twice a ride, technique.

The M761 is offered in both long and short caged models. Seems as though the shorter cage would keep the cage, pulleys, and chain higher up and help prevent sticks and branches from getting sucked in, but is there any other reason to opt for the shorter cage?

I'd love to make the move to SRAM, but I'm 14 and currently have no job and can't drop 180 bones on a new drivetrain. SRAM's 1:1 actuation ratio is really tempting, but this derailleur is going to be coming out of my new chainguide fund anyway, so i don't want to break the bank too badly.

thanks--
Right on. If i were you i'd just hit up the 105 super short cage. It's the one shimano der that hasn't given me problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chooofoojoo said:
Right on. If i were you i'd just hit up the 105 super short cage. It's the one shimano der that hasn't given me problems. :thumbsup:
Checked out the 105, you weren't kidding about it having a short cage, holy sh*t! Also found a Dura Ace roadie on the cheap, more options.

I will make the move to SRAM eventually, but when i do it i want to do it right and go all out with it, not half ass it now and then have to spend more cash later on upgrading.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts