Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 275lb clyde that just received an Indy Fab 29er SS for Christmas. I am running Stylo SS cranks with 34t. I have a variety of cogs for the rear. 16t, 17, 18, 20t. It currently has 20t cog on it. Is this the best cog for me considering that I am in Alabama which is rooty, rocky singletrack with some medium grade climbs and a few short steep climbs that can be hard on a geared bike?

·
American Made!
321 Posts
greetings fellow ss clyde!:thumbsup:
I am sure you will and have heard this but it can come down to what can you push?
I live in southern california - loose, rocky, singletrack and fireroad climbs...very few roots where I go- and use a 32tx18t.
That will get me up just about anything I ride here along with all day epics, which are plentiful here.....Some of the climbs are knee blowers though!
I am originally from MN and there is was all 32x16 all day long.....nice not to have mountains to climb!
Good luck and post up how it goes:D

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fellow clyde

Actually it is quite refreshing for me to know that other clydes are on this board. As for what I can push, I really don't know. I am 44 years old with a history of knee problems, (not from the bike) and have been riding a Titus Motolite for the past nine months. I was preparing for this 29er SS by trying to ride in gears a little harder than I am used to. Tomorrow I take my first ride on my new baby. Work obligations made it impossible until now to ride. I will let you know how 34/20 works. By the way, I was in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendleton so I know how long and rugged those Southern California fireroads can be. :D

·
donkey
263 Posts
A 34:20 may have you spinning out way too fast. I started with a 32:16 when i got into ss, and i think it was a mistake. I ended up discouraged and exhausted. Short story, don't feel like you have to push a huge gear. I'd say start with the 34:20 and then try to find your sweet spot. I ended up with a 34:18 on my latest single speed. It might be worth it to you to shell out the cash for a 19t, just so you can fine tune. And to confuse things even more, companies are starting to make odd-size chainrings more available (surly and truvative come to mind, as well as boone and other high-end companies). Once you find your favorite gear, then its time to spring for a phil wood /paul hub and a white industries freewheel!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Go slow

34 20 doesn't sound too low to me. ( I saw 29ers running 32/22 in Oregon last summer!)

I gear my bikes for the worst hills I'm gonna see, and I assume I will walk once in a while. I ride a higher gear than I did when I was new to SS, but I definitely don't aim for the highest gear I can pull. As my skills developed on the SS, I learned to carry more speed, more consistently over the ride, and then the lower gear didn't hurt my ride times over all, or my ability to stay with the group. I find I spin a little faster on the SS and use momentum to keep myself rolling where I can. When it gets too steep or too tight to carry speed, the lower gearing is always welcome, and I don't risk tearing up my knees.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
yeah even 34x20 sounds high to me... (thats what i ran on my 26er before switching to the darkside)

i run a 34x22 on my 29er in the winter and a 34x21 in the summer.

i never spin out in the twisty singletrack and there are still hills i can't climb....

i find people who push a 2:1 are either genetic freaks or really don't have many hills or don't ride in them too much. i also admit this is a huge generalization but....

i say; don't be afraid to gear down! 32x20 is a nice beginner singlespeed gear in my world....

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am 265 and currently riding a 32x21 on a rigid 29r. I am going to re-gear to 32x19 for a 50 miler that I am doing this weekend (mostly rolling, smooth single and double track). The 21 tends to spin out quickly in the open flats, but surprisingly does well in tight, twisty singletrack. I would try the 20 as a starting point and go smaller in increments. Keep in mind that the 19 may feel great at the beginning, but once you get further into the ride it may become too hard to spin. No easier gear to shift into = long ride home. Glad to see so many big boyz are enjoying the SS.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First ride

i took my 29er SS on her maiden voyage yesterday. I think the 34/20 was the perfect combo. I could ride just about everything on it that I could or would tackle on my Titus. One thing is for sure, thoses 29" wheels help with the flow and they roll over about anything. I actually was getting into the simplicity of the singlespeed so much that at times it felt like me and the bike were "as one". Cool, I don't think I ever felt that way on my Titus. By the way check out the pictures I posted on the 29er board. The only time I felt at a disadvantage was on a 1 mile climb up some really loose rutted singletrack that I can only make 50% of the time on my Titus. About halfway up my in the steepest portions, my legs just couldn't turn the crank anymore. But that may be because I am a 275lb clyde and have nothing to do with the singlespeed:prft:

·
American Made!
321 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking it:thumbsup:
You will amaze yourself with what you can clean on a SS, it happens to me all the time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts