Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get my rear chain guard off I broke one of the plastic holder peices and now its just making sounds and I dont need it anyways. Any tips to get the sucker off?

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
yes.....break it some more, thats what i do. take some pliars, grip it then twist the pliars till the suck cracks, then keep doign it. u can also target the little spoke clips that hold it on. just break it off with some pliars

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Well, I'd just take the wheel off, then take off my cassette and remove it properly but I have the tools for that. If you rip it off somehow, be careful not to score or bend the spokes.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished taking it off. I used some heavy duty wire cutters and cut through the plastic. It looks sooo much better without that thing on there! I got some Mallets yestorday too :D bikes lookin good!

·
something typed here
57 Posts
Good work removing that hideous thang. I see your homemade chainstay protector and might I suggest wrapping it instead of just loosely putting it on there. Cut a tube down the center (long ways) and wrap it like a set of road bars, then zip-tie. You will get two layers of rubber down for more protection and less slap noise, its not loose and I think it looks better. Just throwing that out there. Nice rig btw!

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
backwoodser said:
I see your homemade chainstay protector and might I suggest wrapping it instead of just loosely putting it on there. Cut a tube down the center (long ways) and wrap it like a set of road bars, then zip-tie. You will get two layers of rubber down for more protection and less slap noise, its not loose and I think it looks better. Just throwing that out there. Nice rig btw!
I would do that, but Im out of zip ties at the moment. (there are 3 layers already) It was just ment to be a quick fix until I got some more ties, I havnt gotten down to the hardware store in a few months :rolleyes:

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I would do that, but Im out of zip ties at the moment. (there are 3 layers already) It was just ment to be a quick fix until I got some more ties, I havnt gotten down to the hardware store in a few months :rolleyes:
If you had the two zip ties to attach the tube to the chainstay... You had more than enough... You only need one zip tie when you wrap it.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
If you had the two zip ties to attach the tube to the chainstay... You had more than enough... You only need one zip tie when you wrap it.
Only prob is that I cut the tube into 3rds. I guess I could use 2 of them and do it. But Im feelin preaty lazy right now :D

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
whoa! did you also replace your shock there?

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mothahucker said:
whoa! did you also replace your shock there?

I forgot, the 1st picture was the 1st day I got the bike. I replaced the Metal RP with a RS Pearl 3.1. I LOVE it. really tunable

1 - 19 of 19 Posts