Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As brillante said, 8s and 9s cranks are interchangeable, no problem. But the cassette is hub dependent, and also index lever dependent. You'd be looking at pretty serious dollars changing the rear from 8s to 9s.

Enjoy the new cranks with the old drivetrain until you're ready to make a serious investment. Maybe the time to revisit this is if something happens to the rear wheel and you have to replace it anyway.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes fit the same hub

FBinNY said:
As brillante said, 8s and 9s cranks are interchangeable, no problem. But the cassette is hub dependent, and also index lever dependent. You'd be looking at pretty serious dollars changing the rear from 8s to 9s.
An 8 speed rear hub is compatible with 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes. Old 7 speed hubs are not compatible with 8/9/10 speed cassettes

If you switch to a 9 speed cassette, you will have to replace your rear shifter and chain as well.
:thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
FBinNY said:

Enjoy the new cranks with the old drivetrain until you're ready to make a serious investment. Maybe the time to revisit this is if something happens to the rear wheel and you have to replace it anyway.
Francis, what are you thinking? 8/9 speed hubs are the same (okay and 10 like mtnbiker72 says, but that's a roadie thing, at least I hope it stays a roadie thing)...

As to "upgrading" a crank, there's not a lot to be gained by that (what's wrong with the old crank?)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
kramnnim said:
Those SR cranks are quite horrible. Steel rings that are probably not replacable, and not even straight...
I was remembering only the Suntour part to an extent, but still, there's not a lot of magic in a crankset OTOH, but nonreplaceable rings are a crime, waste of materials.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Francis, what are you thinking? 8/9 speed hubs are the same (okay and 10 like mtnbiker72 says, but that's a roadie thing...)
EXPOSED ---- I'm really a roadie in mtb clothing. What's worse, I ride that eye-talian stuff.

But the nice thing about forums like mtbr, is that others like mtnbiker7s, can step in so quickly to correct errors. thanks, fb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.