Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a KHS Alite 100 bike w/ Shimano 14-34, 7-speed, Mega Range cassette. I do a lot of hill climbing. Can anyone recommend a good hill climbing cassette? I don't know what would fit.... Thanks, Bubbyt

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't know if you can find 7-speed cassettes around anymore. You might want to look into upgrading to a more modern 9, 10, or 11-speed setup, as that will be far easier to get parts. But that will cost a fair bit, since you will most likely have to get a whole new drivetrain. But just to provide an answer to your question, most 'climbing-friendly' cassettes are 11-36 teeth. That is reasonably close to the range you have now though. If you're still struggling on the climbs, look at getting smaller front gearing. The smallest (easiest to climb in) chainring in front on most xc bikes in the low to mid 20s.

Some new cassette add-on cogs like Wolf Tooth or On-One 40 or 42-tooth cogs are available for modern cassettes, and add a lot of climbing ability if you have tall gearing, but I don't think they'd fit your current setup.

The last answer is the one I personally struggle with the most: getting stronger. In my case, the biggest improvements I can make to my climbing are my endurance and strength.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You would need a whole new drivetrain and probably a new rear wheel to get more than 7 speeds. You're probably looking at new bike prices at that point.

If it were me, I'd be looking at smaller chainrings rather than larger cassette cogs. That would get you lower gears for climbing without needing to replace everything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts