Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Shimano rear brake caliper bled by the LBS recently and new pad were installed. It worked fine for awhile, but then I noticed this ticking sound occurring. It only happens when the brake pads are engaged with the rotor.

I checked to make sure the pad spring clip wasn't hitting the rotor, the pads are seated, spokes are tight, etc. Any thoughts on what else it could be? Could something in the rear hub internals be the culprit that only happens when torque is applied? Thanks for any help to try at home before I go back to the LBS...

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
I've had that with a less than perfectly flat disc rotor. Try spinning the wheels and slowly engaging the noisy brake until you find something that moves in rhythm with the sounds. You may have to try both with the wheels off the ground and while riding the bike. Just don't forget how dangerous spinning wheels can be when poking around.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Check to make sure that the caliper is properly aligned with the rotor. Also that the rotor is true. It could be that the rotor is rubbing one pad at some point.

Also check rotor bolts. Rotor cleanliness. Could even be the headset - is there any play in the headset? Is the QR/thru bolt tight?

Sounds can frustratingly come from anywhere...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! Heading to the garage this morning to try and work it out myself...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE=jeffscott;9360461]Does the tick tick increase and decrease with increasing and decreasing speed?[/QUOTE]

No, but it does increase as more force is applied at the caliper. I don't get any ticking when the wheel is just spinning, as the pad spacing to the rotor seems fine.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
QUOTE=jeffscott;9360461]Does the tick tick increase and decrease with increasing and decreasing speed?
No, but it does increase as more force is applied at the caliper. I don't get any ticking when the wheel is just spinning, as the pad spacing to the rotor seems fine.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I was expecting you to say yes it is linked to wheel speed....

That would indicate that it is a problem with something that rotates at wheel speed...(rotor and pads)

Since the frequency of the tick tick is not proportional to wheel speed....

Then you have to think the tick tick is frame or mounting related....not rotor pad related.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Caliper Bolts

Check that the caliper mounting bolts aren't hitting the rotor. Maybe the pads push the rotor just far enough to hit the bolts. If that's it, just add a small washer to prevent the bolts from protruding.

·
Registered
433 Posts
two suggestions....

#1 as others have mentioned...If you are using some kind of washer/spacer under the cailiper?? be sure it's not too far towards the rotor and hitting it??(especially if you are using Hayes brakes with that oval shaped spacer that they use)

#2 sometimes the outer part of the rotor hits the caliper on a high spot??check the outside edge of your rotor for a rub mark..If you see one then use a small spacer under your caliper and you are good to go :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts