Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals,

Will soon start building up my bros SB66c and noted that the rear brake cable passes between the rear triangle and suspension upper link.

Has anyone come up with any great creative ideas on how the eliminate the potential for cable rub/fouling in this area?

Pictures of your solutions/set up will be appreciated.

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I understand the concern but it's a MTB, it's meant to be abused.

:thumbsup:

Honestly, I didn't even notice the rubbing in that area before reading your post :p

·
Master Of Fooliganism
483 Posts
I bought some of that helicopter edge tape stuff and put it on a couple of spots where it would rub. Not adverse to getting the bike banged up, but not from brake cable rub!

I thought you wanted to kvetch about having to disconnect the brake to get it installed! One of my least favorite things about an awesome frame.

Oni

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used some of my left over black grilloa tap from the ghetto tubeless setup.

Have to look hard to see the black on black and I did it to reduce the rub on the brake line

·
Registered
205 Posts
I zip-tied the line to the rear triangle spar. Not as pretty, but it works without fail ... even on a dirty triangle.
Can you post a pic? I'm waiting for my SB75 and I have a set of XT's waiting to be installed. I prefer not to run the cable through the pivot. thx

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bear & Hokidachi,

Don't your solutions still allow the cable the rub up against either rear triangle and suspension upper link.

On a previous bike I have tried bear's idea & you only notice the damage once you lift the cable and inspect the area underneath

I'm trying to figure out a way of 'suspending' the cable between these two parts.

Ideas welcome

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no movement on mine. snug and tight. having proper loop to downtube point probably a factor, so hose bends but does not need to move as the suspension cycles.
Hi bear,

do you have an a 'interior' view version of the photo you posted?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hokidochi, how well does it do as you cycle the suspension?

When I first put the tube tops, it slipped a little bit, may be by half an inch. I moved it back once and I never had to touch it again.
To give you some context on how my suspension works: I ride most of the time at Demo near Santa Cruz. I took the photos after an easy ride nearby. When I'm back from Demo, the shock O-ring is at the end of the shock body.

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
I also wonder if there's more room on the carbon than the alloy frame, around the yoke. Not a lot of room there on the alloy.

I think I first noticed rub on the yoke the first week, but I'd have to back thru the pix to see. It's been a while now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts