Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Came back from trail ride this morning and when i squeeze the rear brake and rock the bike front and back while sittng on the seat, i can hear very loud creaking sounds from the frame. I can feel little freeplay and hear a one time 'click' sound from the frame everytime i ride and then brake. I checked rear brake bosses and there was a CRACK!!! Attached are the photos.

The most i ever rode was over trails with palm size rocks, no jumps, no falls on the bike, no dents. My rear XTRm975 is using Koolstop and are firmly tightenened to the brake bosses already. nothing loose on the xtr brakes.

Even after washing, lube the linkages, the frame still creaks very loudly. And the click sound is heard when braking.

Any Advise?

Thanks!

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Doesn't look like a crack to me. More like the paint/coating cracked, not the frame.
Does the crack grow/shrink when you apply the brake and rock it back and forth?

But you ever know, Ibis will help you out.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
zick said:
Hi all,

Came back from trail ride this morning and when i squeeze the rear brake and rock the bike front and back while sittng on the seat, i can hear very loud creaking sounds from the frame. I can feel little freeplay and hear a one time 'click' sound from the frame everytime i ride and then brake. I checked rear brake bosses and there was a CRACK!!! Attached are the photos.

The most i ever rode was over trails with palm size rocks, no jumps, no falls on the bike, no dents. My rear XTRm975 is using Koolstop and are firmly tightenened to the brake bosses already. nothing loose on the xtr brakes.

Even after washing, lube the linkages, the frame still creaks very loudly. And the click sound is heard when braking.

Any Advise?

Thanks!

Nice photos... Just for fun, try tightening up your rear quick release and also make sure the rotor hardware is tight.

If it seems to be coming from the dropout, give us a call on Monday or email [email protected], we'll take care of it.

Hans

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply Hans. Sunday and you are replying to issues like this! :) Really puts me at ease. Contacted my lbs and they told me to bring it in. Will see what you guys say...
Great after sales service from you guys and from my lbs as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.