Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a GT i Drive 1.0, it's an oldie, but it's a good bike. I'd like to do some front and rear shock upgrade, but I don't know what to get. I'm trying to get an education here, so I'd like to know, how do I know the different types of forks and shocks, and what's compatible with my bike frame, and what to look for? I currently have a rock shox Sid XC 6" Dual air as a rear shock, which came with the bike, but unfortunately the negative rebound is not working. The bike still absorbs bumps great (BTW I'll never ride hardtail again) but I want something that works 100%.

So where to start? what do I look for? I'll post some pics later. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics

What type of suspensions are these? I don't mean brand and model, I mean what type will fit my bike? or are they all universal? Anything fits any type of frame?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shocks have 2 measurements that describe them, eye to eye distance and travel.

You'll often see shocks listed as "6.5x1.5" or something similar.

That means 6.5 inch eye to eye (distance between the center of the mounting holes) and 1.5 inch travel (amount the shock actually compresses).

Any shock with the same measurements should be a direct bolt on replacement for the shock you have now. There's a fairly active used shock market, but prices are fairly high.

As for a fork, there are a gillion choices. You are better off to stay with a fork that has the same travel as what you have now. Technically axle to crown height is the real key, but that can be a bit confusing.

So I'd say look for a fork that has the same diameter steering tube (most likely 1 1/8" inch), has a long enough steering tube (measure yours and match or exceed that number), and has a similar amount of travel.

Again the used fork market is active so you might have good luck on ebay or the classifieds here. There are a lottttttt of choices though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts