Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any advice for a rear shock. For this particular bike I'm setting it up for strictly trail/single track riding. Right now I have some cheap coil shock, that last season seized up on me. After some ingenious interventions we got it apart. Couldn't identify anything wrong w/ it, filled it w/ some Pennziol 30w, and haven't had any problems since. What I'm wanting to know before upgrading: What is better and why? Coil spring or an Air shock. Thanks for any and all replies.
Mule

· Registered
84 Posts
MuleMarine said:
Can anyone give me any advice for a rear shock. For this particular bike I'm setting it up for strictly trail/single track riding. Right now I have some cheap coil shock, that last season seized up on me. After some ingenious interventions we got it apart. Couldn't identify anything wrong w/ it, filled it w/ some Pennziol 30w, and haven't had any problems since. What I'm wanting to know before upgrading: What is better and why? Coil spring or an Air shock. Thanks for any and all replies.
Mule
Coil spring shocks tend to be plusher, can stand up to more abuse, and are more supple over small bumps. They also have an added advantage in that should you blow the shock, you can still ride home on the spring. Finding the right spring rate is more difficult because you have to dismount the shock every time you change coil springs.

Air shocks do not have the luxury of a coil spring to help you home (unless you get a Stratos Helix Expert or Helix Pro, which have the best of both worlds, air AND coil). However, with air shocks, they provide a firmer ride ( a better pedaling bike as a result), more adjustability (in some cases), and are a good pound lighter than a coil shock.

I had a Rock Shox Deluxe coil-over on my bike...and I am in the process of swapping it out for a Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air rear shock. I weigh 235, so I will let you know how it makes my bike feel and its durability....should be fun :D

· Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Coil

Hunkers down and waits for the inevitable heated "coil vs air" debate that is about to transpire. Tosses up a "Coil" vote, puts his helmet back on, and ducks back into the bunker.

Air shocks have come a long way, but coil is my choice. Plush, responsive, reliable.

Clyde

· Who are the brain police?
9,767 Posts
You can't beat the ride of coil, but coil can't beat the weight of air. So it depends what's more important to you.

I have one of each right now and switched back and forth for some time. Yeah, air has gotten better -but still can't match the ride of coil.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
MuleMarine said:
Mule
Neither. Each has it's own niche.

Coil is "typically" plusher. One deviation to this is the RP3 Fox air. That shock is as plush as the Romic coil....which is very plush. Plus, the RP3 is around 1 pound lighter.

For your style riding, an the RP3 may be the ticket. The caveat is that unless your bike is spec'd by the mfg to use the RP3, you'll get no warranty from Fox.

Since you didn't mention what bike you have....there may be other issues such as fit....or if your bike has a very high leverage ratio, you may do better with a coil shock.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, those reply's helped me very much. I'm running a cheap coil shock now that I don't trust. I just picked up a Stratos Strata Pro off Ebay for a good deal. If the air is what everyone says it is I'll proly trade it in for the RP3, or the Romic; or I'll do a little more homework to find a shock that fits my style and my budget. I'll search around for a really good coil, if anyone has any advice or personal experiences I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks again all.

· Registered
208 Posts
I"ve used the simple Fox Vanilla r for the last two years.
Having changed over to the new Fox RP3 has made a world of difference. Gone is the feeling of riding a plush sofa uphills .
If your doing drops over 5 ft.consider the coil ( Fox DHX3 DHX5 )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.