Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am thinking about building a really retro single speed. With a custom frame and fork but with modern wheel sizing and parts.

I would like the geometry from something around 1900 or so. The period look and handle bars etc. Has anyone had a frame and forks made like this before or has anyone ridden a really early safety bicycle. I expect it will be a bit lighter with modern wheels and tyres.

Just thought it might make a fun cruiser city bike with an unusual look.

Love to hear your feedback.

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
That's my next build, 29er rigid with a coaster brake. Still looking for the perfect donor frame. Had this old skip chain Monark but the stays were too short.

May have to go custom like a retrotec or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Not a city cruiser, but I've always wanted to build one of these, complete with the handlebar mount bottle cages.

The original Gravel Grinder.
Ezquerra_in_de_bergen-_Ezquerra_in_the_mountains.jpg

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Not a city cruiser, but I've always wanted to build one of these, complete with the handlebar mount bottle cages.
The time is now, do it, post it and gloat about it. Looks like a 650b to me, Rawland comes to mind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am thinking about building a really retro single speed. With a custom frame and fork but with modern wheel sizing and parts.

I would like the geometry from something around 1900 or so. The period look and handle bars etc. Has anyone had a frame and forks made like this before or has anyone ridden a really early safety bicycle. I expect it will be a bit lighter with modern wheels and tyres.

Just thought it might make a fun cruiser city bike with an unusual look.

Love to hear your feedback.
ted wojcik makes some nice older frames -

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Black Sheep, Jeff Jones, Ingles
Quite a few out there now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How retro is really retro? Like turn of the century path racer scorcher? Or 30s-40s cruiser/courier?

Oops, answered my question with your initial post. So check out electra Ticino for ready made frame with similar geo or Mike flannigan of ANT for the real deal.

Don McClung: look these up.

Mike Flannigan
ANT Scorchers

I've seen Electra Ticino frames turned into great scorcher builds a la SaddleUpBike. Look his up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bryce taught Garo how to build those curvy frames! He makes some sweet ones! Blacksheep took it to another level. Look forward to some photos!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sound like a cool project! Reminds me of my favorite exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Musuem: wright bike.jpg

Good luck and have fun.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts