Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new here, I need to know what brake Brace is used on this bike:madman: , pics attached, I have been told the brakes are Cantilevers by Avid, I have also been told the Brake Brace is from a Mid 80's Mountain Bike, I need two(One Pair) of these, any help would be appreciated
regards

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
I don't believe Avid was even around in 1986. The brakes look like standard cantis of the era. Probably Shimano, Suntour or Dia Compe.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
muddybuddy said:
I want to see how he's running canti brakes on the front with the brake cable running through the stem bolt.
"Potts Mod" stem bolt. Google it. :)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
WTF? I was thinking the same thing, how'd he run cantis with a Gyro style set up, then I looked closer, and there's no brake up front, yet the cables there. Wait, in the bottom pic, there appears to be something on the back side of the fork, but in the top pic, you see nothing but a foot platform thingy, (sorry, BMX lingo ain't my strong suit!)

More pics or it didn't happen.....:p

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
FFork was drilled out straddle cable was snaked thru the fork legs. Cable hanger was in steerer tube above the drilled out hole. It didn't work that well but really didn't have to as eddie fiola rode ramps.
I worked in a shop where a mechanic built a replica and soon had to replace fork and go back to a mx1000 brake like the rest of us.
ong that seatpost cover was readily available at the time in shops. Different guys put it out but basically pool tubing

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
chefmiguel said:
FFork was drilled out straddle cable was snaked thru the fork legs. Cable hanger was in steerer tube above the drilled out hole. It didn't work that well but really didn't have to as eddie fiola rode ramps.
I worked in a shop where a mechanic built a replica and soon had to replace fork and go back to a mx1000 brake like the rest of us.
ong that seatpost cover was readily available at the time in shops. Different guys put it out but basically pool tubing
That had to work and feel like crapola pulling those canti arms at that angle and rubbing on the inside of the fork and steerer tube. I think I have one of those canti adapters if anyone is interested.

Brakes look to be first generation Dia Compe canti's.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:
As long as we're talking BMX...

this caught my eye the other day:

Steve
Like the crazy cat lady of vrc......
I enjoyed that quote....:D :D :D
You have your fingers in everything...
Whats one more.....

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Aemmer said:
Like the crazy cat lady of vrc......
I enjoyed that quote....:D :D :D
You have your fingers in everything...
Whats one more.....
Haha T. it made me laugh too...damn you Mig. Yeah, if the shoe fits I guess.

As far as that old BMXer...wish I had a handle on it, those hubs are worth more the almost all of my bikes :eek: It's a pic I grabbed off BMX museum when I was looking for info on the freestyle canti mod.

For Craig: those hubs are Sonlite Turbos...big $ in the BMX world.

Steve

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
FB, those brakes were horrible we used a bit of plastic sheathing to help but it really didn't. Eddie Fiola probably abandoned the idea probably the next day as well, he was a vert rider who wasn't really known for platform tricks so front brakes were not a huge issue.
ECS, you're going to need a crazy cat lady avatar

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.