Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good To Go: Trek 8000

I have been searching for a vintage MTB to build a 26" commuter and I think I just found what I was looking for!!! I was at the local bike depository and found this 1988 Trek 8000 for 40 smackers. I know, some of you are probably thinking that was too much for a 20 year old aluminum frame, but I got a vision for this thing.

I also know It's nothing spectacular, but it did come with some pretty neat vintage stuff, like XT rear der, brake levers, friction shifters and headset. It also has a true temper straight bar, and ritchey force stem with integrated cable hanger. But what I'm really excited about is the Tange Presitge straight blade fork. Look at that thing, it's a work of art! Anyway, I plan to strip it down to the frame build it up with some cool stuff I got lying around. I'll keep this updated as I go through the build. Please feel free to post ideas for my project. Biggest issue I'm concerned about is the rear brake bosses being on the bottom of the chain stays. Now, I'm off to the store for some paint stripper!

Attachments

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
Nothing wrong with an average bike from 1988. That fork alone is worth $40. BTW, the fork is a Tange Switchblade. You can search for it on this group. Tange licensed the design from Bontrager (when Keith Bontrager was still in charge). I've got two Tanges, one similar to yours and the other a silver chrome. Have 1.5 Bontrager Comps too.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Those thumbies are almost worth what you paid and that fork is very nice. If you need a U-brake I think I have one. Not pretty but it will stop you. Pm me and I will send it to you, just cover the postage.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Sizzler said:
Now, I'm off to the store for some paint stripper!

:eekster:

That frame is bonded (glued) together. Chemical paint stripper may not be the best choice.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pinguwin: thanks for the fork info, I thought it looked like a bonti but I didn't want to assume anything.

sandman: thanks for the offer, i will PM you.

zanetti: i stripped an aluminum 91 without any negative long term effects. my feeling is that the frame is near functionally worthless, so if it does fall apart then I will just use the parts on something else. but thanks for looking out for me!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great find for $40. The components alone are worth quite a bit more than that. It will build into a great commuter and shift really well.

I would pull the fork off and use it for another project... too nice for a commuter, IMO.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i love having cool commuter components because you get to look at them and enjoy their quality for a couple hours every day. plus, i have the luxury of keeping my commuting bikes indoors so they should be quiet safe, but I will agree that it's a shame to see them wear over time.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When stripping paint, it's good to get something so toxic that it's only legal in certain areas. For my bottle of jasco, I had to go to a hardware store in the next town over.

Attachments

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's also good to have some friends help out. For this project, I invited Crow, Tom Servo and Mike. Joel popped in a little later.

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Ummmm, wasn't the 1988 Trek 8000 a welded frame? They went to bonding when they started using the Easton E9 ProGram aluminium, which was 7075.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After taking apart and cleaning everything, I started putting the bike back together and was very pleased with the look. I also got lucky with a few things, like finding a 35mm LX front derailleur, being able to use the seat and post from my Santa Cruz and finding that Cinelli bar caps fit perfectly in the switchblade holes.

Attachments

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I threw on some 26" wheels, but it just didn't look right. :idea:

I thew on some 700c wheels, and it suddenly looked awesome, perfect for commuting!

But now I have a problem (you can probably guess) and I need your help. I again lucked out because the rear triangle has a place to mount a brake. However, the switchblade is another matter. Are there any brakes designed to accommodate a 700c wheel on a 26" fork? I vaguely remember something about Pauls making something like that, but I don't remember specifics. Also, this was a mostly spare parts project so I would like to avoid a 100$ brake. However, I would really appreciate hearing any ideas you have, even expensive ones.

Attachments

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
da'HOOV said:
I just noticed the downtube shifter mount points...?
yeah, those suck. they are just little plastic caps and the shifter mounts underneath are a bit loose, so it will be interesting to see what happens when supporting tension. At the same time, I'm glad it came with them, one less thing to have to find.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I have to say it's pretty cool seeing someone hauling ass through a project and posting near real-time. I'm expecting to see that thing complete by the end of the weekend.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
okay, now i really need help because I no longer have any idea what i'm doing. i feel like i'm flying by the seat of my spandex with this project. i picked up this brake set at the same place as the bike frame for only 3$ because they look awesome and will work for a 700c wheel on a 26" frame, but they are clearly missing some crucial things. Does anyone know how these things are supposed to work? Do they simply work off friction to hold the spring in place? Anyone???

Edit: I should also mention that the springs are from a different set of brakes, but they seem similar enough to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Those look pretty sweet. I am guessing the arms slide over the sleeve/spring pieces which slide over the canti posts? If so there should be somewhere for the wire/spring to catch. Looks like there is a hole in the cross-bar section of the arms, that's probably your road to freedom. You'll need some noodles too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts