Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

First time I have been in since last riding season. This winter here has been brutal for us. We have seen snow since November and haven't gone a week without getting 25cm here 30 cm there. And to throw in the cold. We have had some of the coldest temps in a couple winters. As I write right now It is sitting at -30c. It was -3c the other day and people were out in t shirts and shorts. They are calling in a icebreaker to break up some ice further up the river and we have been told we will see significant flooding ( most of the trails are by the river )

So needless to say I am itching to get back out again. Had the bike out in the shop going over some routine maintenance. Wish I didn't do that as I want to hop on and go for a ride. But there is so much snow and ice out there.

Hopefully it wont be too much longer:thumbsup: I just wanted to drop in and say Hi:)

Jeremy

·
Registered
608 Posts
I hear ya, and most of Canada and much of the US feels the same way. I have a new mtn bike and haven't been mtn biking for years, so I've really got the itch. Fortunately I've been using my winter/x bike on the roads (20-30 times since snow landed) and there is an indoor bike park not far away.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hang in there.

I've found that doing a few other activities in preparation for mountain biking season makes the time go by a little better for me. I spend the winters doing James Wilson's MTB-specific strength training program, working on my bikes, organizing and maintaining the rest of my gear, and planning future ride trips. I also make it a point to bundle up and get outside, even if I can't ride. It's easy to stay warm for a run, and it keeps you in shape.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My fat bike was probably one of the best investments in my cycling due to the harshness of this past winter. That said, I'm getting a little tired of plodding around at 2 mph fighting for traction. I got my first ride in on my SS 29er yesterday, probably still a bit much snow around for that but it was fun. Now I can't wait for the rest of the snow to go away.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What's this Snow stuff you speak of? JK. Snow sounds great to those of us who don't have to live with it everyday like some of you do. It is 88 degrees here today, and I just got back from a ride. Unseasonable hot even for Southern California this time of year. I hope you are all able to get out there soon and tear it up!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like some of you could use a vacation south around February or so. I live in a warm area however I didn't have any health insurance from January till March 1st. It feels so good to be riding again. I didn't want to risk crashing and breaking anything and going into debt forever.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

Just a follow up. We are melting good now and temps are getting better ( almost 4c during the day,lol ) I would be fine in shorts and warm sweat shirt and t shirt over top and am thinking about getting out even on dry paved trails for the time being in the next few weeks here. Been cleaning the bike the last week or so. Actually it was nice and clean when it went away.

Im just polishing it and telling it soon....soon :p

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I love Winter!

I've lost track of how much snow we've had in the Northeast US but today will be my 79th day skiing with at least another month to go so no complaints about winter here.

When I finally start riding again, the absence will make it that much sweeter. I would die of boredom if I had to live with only one season month after month.

·
Registered
199 Posts
...staring at my bike has helped the time pass ;)

Reactions: JerB

·
Registered
420 Posts
Its all snow slush and glare ice here, but temps are almost in the 40s. Just have to maintain discipline and hope that others do as well until summer. Last year the trails were rutted to hell when they dried because people just didn't wait.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Its been a TOUGH winter here in SE Penna. snow is finally gone, temps are getting bearable and I've finally gotten out for a few rides. Temps in the 60's this week, so it starts for real now. It was worth the wait.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We still have over a foot of snow in the forest. I just tinker away at my bike, slowly fixing it. The only saving grace for us this year was fat biking... but you can only do it for so long before you just want to jump back on a full suspension bike and rip up singletrack... Every part of dirt we see in the forest we go out of our way to ride on it, even if it is only for a few inches.... i am definitely ready for summer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i saw some dirt somewhere today on my property....woohooo
but for the most part up to a foot or more of snow around here.
weather forcast looks promising though

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
trails wet in southrn Illinois. been on trainer, rollers and road rides (some on the mountain bike).

it's coming though!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weathering is warming up here. The local paved trails have been swept and are now open. I may head out early Tuesday morning for my first ride of the year.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tomorrow I will be headig out at 5:30am for a few hours. Then come home and do some yard work, if the rain holds off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts