Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking my 29er to the Himalaya. I'm 195 with small backpack and water and bike will weigh 45 or so when loaded. I'll be away from any sort of bike store for the entire trip. I'll have some needle and thread and boot material, some extra sealant but figure I should start with really strong durable tires. Weight is pretty important so I'd like to avoid bringing a spare tire. If I can't keep the tire going then the riding will be over. Maybe I will bring a light tire for emergency. Dunno.

Rims are stans flow ex3 29, 29mm internal. Rear of frame doesn't look like it can tolerate a tire much bigger than a 2.25 ikon, which is bad because the rim is already too wide for that tire. Edit: Front has a 2014 float32 fork. I'd like the biggest tire there that will fit. Anyone know?

I'm looking for a light supple good rolling tire that is also good over loose over hard and is intensely durable. Ha. Place is a desert so loose over hard. Lots of loose.

I found these videos of some crazy Russians that did the same route in 2015.

Probably total distance is about 1000km, 800 or so is either bad dirt roads or really bad trails like in those videos.

I normally ride Ikons and the Vittoria Mezcal. The mezcal has been amazing, grips better and seems more durable than the exo ikon.

Is there a maxxis EXO+ tire that would work?

Minion SS in doubledown?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something with a 60tpi casing and big tread. You should also take a tire patch kit to properly patch a tubeless tire from the inside.
I am ready with tire repair.

So... a dhf 2.6 exo+ in front? It'll fit. I really want to be riding the loose side cut trails and descending the passes and think the volume will help in sand? The rekon would also fit...?

Not sure what for rear. The ikon comes in a dd casing. Not much side knob on the ikon. Maybe a 2.35 dhf in the rear? What about a minion ss?

I'm sort of fine going slow on the road if it means I'll ride more trail. If I'm not riding the trail I'm pushing, and there will already be too much of that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, lots of reading and some emails with maxxis. Front will be DHF 2.35 DD, rear is Minion SS 2.3 DD. I really can't afford tire damage and the DD are supposed to be the strongest. Also both of those tires come with the harder dual density rubber so are most durable.

The Minion SS arrived today. I've got pretty strong fingers and sometimes break weak things by accident. Well... my fingers are bruised from that mounting. Ended up using a tire lever. Maybe not the tightest tire I've ever mounted but it made a bit of a ping, this was onto a 29mm internal width stans flow ex3.

Now I'm going to hope really hard I never need to remove that thing. Quite a substantial tire. Once upon a time I had too tight tires and had to cut the beads to get them off.

Anyway, tires chosen, the die is cast.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the tires. As above Minion DHF 2.3 DD on front, Minion SS 2.3 DD on rear. I've got pretty strong hands but man they were smoked after installing the rear. Sort of scared me how tight they were. What I loved though is that they inflated well without sealant. I left them at 50+ psi for 2 days. Deflated and put in sealant. On the rear which was so tight I decided to redo the tape. Was relieved that I could get the tire off with my fingers. Tight tires are scary.

Today I rode my normal road ride on my loaded bikepacking bike with these tires. Normally my 30 mile ride takes about 1:50 (road bike with 23mm conti grand prix tires.) Today I went harder than normal and it took 2:15. About 18% longer. 16.3mph is now 13.3mph.

Gives me an idea how much ground I can expect to cover. I really feel the drag from these tires (compared to the road bike which feels frictionless.)

Anyway, the tires feel like absolute beasts. I'm happy with the choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.