Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a short video of some great riding in Sedona. Looks like raisingarizona is responsible :thumbsup: for this masterpiece (Sedona Segment, Winter 10/11 - YouTube). If viewers have seen it already it's worth another look.

Not sure where the jump trail is, I am curious if it is at Beaver Flat?

TD

Attachments

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Thanks for the re-post TD. Yep, BHF is the spot. Team Harmony got out of bed before the sun was up that morning to help me get those shots in near freezing temperatures so we could nail that light. That was very cool of them. M77Ranger was out with me more mornings then I can even remember to help me as well.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the re-post TD. Yep, BHF is the spot. Team Harmony got out of bed before the sun was up that morning to help me get those shots in near freezing temperatures so we could nail that light. That was very cool of them. M77Ranger was out with me more mornings then I can even remember to help me as well.
That Ranger77 is definitely a 5%'er

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Great video showing some great stuff in Sedona. I vote RA for Sedona's Ambassador :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great video showing some great stuff in Sedona. I vote RA for Sedona's Ambassador :thumbsup:
tse:

ra would make a great Sedona mountain bike ambassador. Currently we have Plumber Phil as the president of the new Sedona Mountain Bike Club (SMBC) and I believe that is a good fit because his girlfriend, Jennifer, is in charge of Parks and Recreation of the Red Rock Ranger District. Phil and Jennifer deserve most of the credit for all the recent new trails and adoption of older user built trails.

Without Phil and Jennifer we maybe still riding most of the trails we had the last couple of years, but we wouldn't have at least six new trails and signage on the adopted user built trails.

The new club is affiliated with IMBA and if you join IMBA for $30 and are either a resident of Sedona or the Village of Oak Creek you automatically become a member of SMBC club.

The new club is struggling for new members due to there being a second mountain bike club also in Sedona called the VVCC. They are also an IMBA sponsored club due to their IMBA Mountain Bike Patrol operation.

The new SMBC club is trying to be a bottom-up club rather than a top down club. Whether a bottom up approach can work in Sedona will be an interesting test. We have a lot of heavy lifters in Sedona, that are not really club orientated and they represent the current trail building horsepower that has made Sedona the riding destination that it is today.

It's one thing to talk about creating a great volunteer trail building group to go out and maintain our existing trail system, but if the heavy lifters only want to work on their favorite trails then the club president along with someone like raisingarizona need to train a new group of passionate trail builders and trail maintainers to do the work on the older system trails.

Phil is one heck of a volunteer trail builder and trail maintainer, but I believe he no longer wants to do the majority of the work himself, but he does want to decide where the new trails should be placed or what maintenance needs to be done. A top down approach with him at the top would work well for him.

The new club is working on a new interactive mapping system that is similar to what they currently have in Fruita, CO. Hopefully it will be utilized by vacationers coming to Sedona to ride. The idea is that there is a small pot of gold to be mined from all the future vacationers coming to Sedona to ride. Hopefully there will be enough revenue generated from online map Intel to help with pay something to the Sedona trail fund to offset manpower that will be lost due to FS budget cuts.

The problem with the new interpretive map will be what trails are the Red Rock Ranger District going to allow the SMBC to post on their map. If they are only going to allow system trails the new online map is going to be less comprehensive than Cosmic Rays Fat Tire Book, the Bear Tooth's 7th Edition or the current OTE Map.

I am not sure whether the Bear Tooth 8th. Edition will be more or less comprehensive then their 7th Edition when it comes out in the near future. But certainly the new SMBC map should at least have the same trails Bear Tooth has on their map.

Now that Highline and some other trails to be adopted have been slowed down due to additional studies that need to be completed to evaluate their sustainability the adoption process is at an interesting point. Current budget constraints may also dictate how much the FS will be able to help with maintenance issues in the future, so without a strong volunteer maintenance group Jennifer is going to be reluctant to adopt more trails than can be maintained with the current workforce or a smaller workforce due to budget reductions.

TD

Recent IMBA Posing:

In an ongoing effort to improve and expand the mountain biking opportunities in Arizona, the Sedona Mountain Bike Club (SMBC) and the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) have teamed up through IMBA's Chapter Program. SMBC joins IMBA as a chapter to provide a strong mountain biking advocacy program to the community. SMBC's goals are to have fun, preserve existing access, and develop additional mountain biking opportunities by working with public land managers and private landowners to create and maintain access to Sedona mountain bike trails. With an action-based approach, SMBC connects the community of local riders, fosters dialogue and feedback, encourages collaborative involvement, and leverages its collective power for results. Membership in the SMBC puts you in the middle of democratic dialogue; it's your vote to influence the shape and direction of the organization.

The biggest asset Sedona has to offer its residents, businesses, and visitors is enjoyment of the surrounding landscape. Sedona's trails provide access to this landscape and without them this unique experience is lost. SMBC is lobbying for mountain biking in your backyard and with your help we can improve this legacy.

Join IMBA and SMBC to become part of the team of trail users working to improve the experience on trails close to home. Your support is critical in helping SMBC and IMBA work with local land managers, demonstrating that we will continue to build and maintain sustainable trails AND be responsible trail users. As a SMBC-IMBA member, you will receive special regional newsletters, invitations to monthly meetings, and many other social events throughout the year. Most importantly, you will be helping us develop future trail opportunities and improve our current local trails. Join today and ride with us tomorrow!

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
RA is busy making sure that we will have legit dh/fr ride trails here in Flagstaff and also some new XC stuff to fill the void in the Oldham Canyon area as well. I'm too busy for any Sedrama. Keep your fingers crossed, write to the Coco FS in support of this decision and join Flagstaff Biking Organization. Thanks for your support and stoke!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts