Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
16,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nickbm3 said:
That was cool! thanks for sharing, I love seeing technological innovation from the old times. Amazing gun!
What I can't figure out is why didn't the concept move forward? I mean, we have .177 and .22 cal. plinkers for the kids, but something that uses air, shoots multiple, .46 caliber rounds in rapid succession, is virtually silent, and just needs a bike pump to recharge?

I mean, I'm not a gun nut, I do appreciate them, but that seems to be a pretty low tech solution, and one that would have real value in certain situations or parts of the world.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
joshman108 said:
wait, so how do you pressurize the butt of the gun?
It's no accident he doesn't mention that. There's a lever on the stock, that when turned, allows gas to enter the butt stock, but not escape. The only way to get gas into the gun is by "passing" it through the barrel. Keep in mind that the main staple of the crew's diet was beans. Need I say more? :ciappa:

·
16,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gasp4Air said:
Keep in mind that the main staple of the crew's diet was beans. Need I say more? :ciappa:
Nice :lol:

joshman108, if you're wondering WHERE you pressurize, I don't know, but he did say (and here's the bike tie in) that 1500 strokes with a bicycle pump, charged the weapon. I can only assume there's an external valve somewhere.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
What I can't figure out is why didn't the concept move forward?
If you do some further research, you'll find the gun had several issues.
1. It took 1500 strokes of a bicycle pump to charge it, but unfortunately the bicycle pump had not yet been invented.
2. When the bicycle pump was finally invented, they went to pump it up, only to find it had a presta valve and their pump only had schrader.
3. The guys using the gun kept complaining about having to yell "BANG!" every time they pulled the trigger.
4. It didn't say "Red Ryder" on the stock.
5. Their moms kept telling them they'd shoot their eye out.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
May have just been too big of a pain to get the stock up to 800psi with the technology they had. I mean still today it would be an inconvenience to have to go somewhere to fill up your gun only to be able to shoot 40 rounds. 800psi is a lot and most people, gun enthusiasts included, probably don't have a way to get that pressure easily. It's a great idea, but the ease of use and convenience of today's bullets is superior.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
trailville said:
If you do some further research, you'll find the gun had several issues.
1. It took 1500 strokes of a bicycle pump to charge it, but unfortunately the bicycle pump had not yet been invented.
2. When the bicycle pump was finally invented, they went to pump it up, only to find it had a presta valve and their pump only had schrader.
3. The guys using the gun kept complaining about having to yell "BANG!" every time they pulled the trigger.
4. It didn't say "Red Ryder" on the stock.
5. Their moms kept telling them they'd shoot their eye out.
I just LOL'ed.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
My pump doesn't go up to 800 psi.

I would like to hear more about the pump though. It's amazing they had the tech to pump up and seal up back then. It was also the first military repeating rifle to ever see action.

The pump must have had a very small diameter piston, just a few mm across, (or rely on levers) in order to reach those kind of pressures, which is undoubtably why it took so long to fill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.