Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oddish request i have.
converting my xtracycle from 650b to 26" and im searching for the perfect tires.
-street tread
-wide
-thick

ive been checking out the maxxis hookwork 26x2.50 but on my rim(wtb speed disc xc) it only measures up to 2.25 with 60psi. ive tried on the fat franks also which were a bit wider but im not a fan to how thin they are. that and theyre pricey to hell.

any suggestions?

·
local trails rider
12,294 Posts
Bontrager Big Hank (2.5") looks pretty big to me.

I though the regular 2.2" Hank is big enough for me. They are slicks but I think they do fine on just about any firm surface.

You want to put big tires on skinny rims?
- the skinny rim will shape the tire differently: maybe keeping the tire more narrow but also taller.
- you'll need pretty good pressures to keep the tires from squirming in turns and while pedaling out of the saddle

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been riding with tires that measure 2.35 for a while now with no issue. main thing is, theyre mtb knobbies:(
taller is fine. 650bx2.35 have great clearance so 26x2.5 shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've been using the Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 slicks for years and aside from their weight I like them a lot. Mine are worn and weigh 1120g.

A lighter alternative is the Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4, advertised at 890g (mine weigh 850g). They're an excellent street and dirt tire. I'm really happy with the way they corner on the road. Right now you can get them on sale for $22 at JensonUSA.

·
That Unicycle Guy
353 Posts
I have a first generation X and there really is not that much room to spare when I use a hookworm. I used a 26x2.6" downhill tire for a while, I had to cutt off the side knobs as they hit the Xtracycles "chainstays"

My rim is not that wide either.

If you really can go truly fat perhaps a Kenda Flame or a Fireball?

http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/3/16/Tires/page3.html

I have been considering going to a 24x3 setup in the rear myself

·
Registered
64 Posts
Roadsters said:
I've been using the Maxxis Hookworm 2.5 slicks for years and aside from their weight I like them a lot. Mine are worn and weigh 1120g.

A lighter alternative is the Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4, advertised at 890g (mine weigh 850g). They're an excellent street and dirt tire. I'm really happy with the way they corner on the road
Are the Holy Rollers any smaller?
I know they are supposed to be slightly smaller, but in pictures they look about the same,the Holy Rollers look like they have a flatter profile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.