Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting an entry level position in Summit County soon (Frisco, I think). They prefer to hire someone who lives or will live in Summit Co. I assume this is because they don't want their employees driving 50mi. twice every day and contributing to all of those issues (which we don't need to discuss here). Is there any place to live in or very near Summit that isn't a 1 bedroom condo for around $150k? I found a website for a Summit County "affordable housing" project. I think the places there started at around $330k! Does anybody know a good resource for renting? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Chris

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not sure what they charge but years ago I lived in Wildernest in Silverthorne. At that time it was a bit less then what you want to pay but I bet it has gone up! Worth a try

·
Registered
34 Posts
i don't know how many people in this forum live in Summit county, and I don't know anything about housing in SuCo ... but head over to the TGR forums (www.tetongravity.com/forums) there's TONS of people from the area who would be able to help you out. Be ready for some 'jonging' and hazing, but if you stay you'll definitely get pointed in the right direction.

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
I used to live up in Breck. Moved away last year. Owning a place is pretty unaffordable, at least on an entry level type salary. You could try living over Hoosier pass, in the town of Alma. It's only about 20 minutes - weather permitting - from Breck. Renting is pricey as well, but you'll get a better deal if it's for a year-round lease.
Good luck with the job. Breaking through the "locals only" barrier is tough to do.

Oh, and I hope you like skiing more than biking. The biking season is fairly short - but pretty awesome nonetheless.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtbjedi1 said:
I used to live up in Breck. Moved away last year. Owning a place is pretty unaffordable, at least on an entry level type salary. You could try living over Hoosier pass, in the town of Alma. It's only about 20 minutes - weather permitting - from Breck. Renting is pricey as well, but you'll get a better deal if it's for a year-round lease.
Good luck with the job. Breaking through the "locals only" barrier is tough to do.

Oh, and I hope you like skiing more than biking. The biking season is fairly short - but pretty awesome nonetheless.
Wow. I think you just confirmed all of my fears about SuCo. Thanks for the tip about Alma! I will certainly take these comments into account if the decision to take the job is left up to me. I'm much more a mountain biker than a skier. Thanks for the insight!
-Chris

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
IlPirata said:
i don't know how many people in this forum live in Summit county, and I don't know anything about housing in SuCo ... but head over to the TGR forums (www.tetongravity.com/forums) there's TONS of people from the area who would be able to help you out. Be ready for some 'jonging' and hazing, but if you stay you'll definitely get pointed in the right direction.
if you do that, make sure you post it in the "Hookups" forum, not the skiing forum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
'Entry level job' and 'affordable housing' are practically mutually exclusive in the Summit County area. You have to give something up to live there, in your case either money or your 'housing lifestyle'. The other obvious alternative is driving from Alma, Fairplay, etc., but it's not an option I'd enjoy in the winter. Congrats on the job, and enjoy your time there while it lasts.

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
Plan on $500-600/month

for a bedroom in Summit County. If you look hard enough you might find a 1 bedroom apartment for 7-900. I own a condo, live there full time and charge $600 for a bedroom. If you don't mind sharing a room, you can find something for 300-400. Buying a place is in the $250-400/ sq foot range.

It is rough to live up here, but usually well worth it. Get your riding in June-Aug. Anything else is a bonus up here.

Also, try to get your employer to include a ski pass. Many will or will at least let you pay them back over the course of 2-3 months.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
If you are working in Frisco, the commute from Leadville would be way easier than from Alma or Fairplay. Leadville has much more affordable housing options than anywhere in Summit County. Probably the cheapest rental options are in Silverthorne or Summit Cove. Another possibility is looking north of Silverthorne out towards Kremmling and Green Mountain reservoir. You will need to commute, but if you want to buy that's your only realistic option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't be a sissy and live in leadville.

Just stay out of the scarlet and (without any harmful intent) no mexicans will stab you. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.