Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used one of these on a Release? Have a 2018 release 5C that I was thinking of using it on

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have run these on both an aluminum Release and an aluminum Catch. I'd contact them directly for fitment on a the carbon model.
These things are awesome, super cheap upgrade for huge improvement in small bump compliance, and they're really cool guys to work with and support.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you run them on both the top and bottom of the shock? Or just the bottom?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just the lower, the upper barely moves. RWC doesn't recommend running both anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Best upgrade I made to my bike this season. Bang for the buck at least .

After removing the air and cycling the shock while looking "down the line", the upper mount moves a little at the beginning and end of the stroke. I had also been getting a creak from the suspension that I troubleshooted to the same upper mount.

I replaced both bushings with RWC bearings. The suspension is so much more active now and I haven't had any creaking in almost 2 months of riding. Had to slow rebound down almost all the way since it was kind of pogo sticky at faster settings with the reduced stiction.

I will be cleaning the pivots and inspecting the bearings soon. I'll report any abnormal findings.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Can I get a link? I have a 2016 catch that could use some help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade!

Think I can handle the removal and install with clamps/sockets & a bench vise?

I wonder if the 22.2 kit will work for the release 5c.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am running (2) 22.2 kits, one on bottom and one on top of my Fox DPX2 on a 2018 Release 5c.

I removed the bushings and pressed the bearings on my kitchen table, no vice needed. I did destroy one of the bushings in the process so I am committed, but can't see myself going back anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am running one on my 2018 Release 3 on the bottom of the shock only. I am considering an offset bushing for the top to drop the BB and slacken the head angle ever so slightly, still researching that topic right now though.
Anyway, back on topic: The RWC roller bearing is a nice upgrade and I agree that the small bump compliance has improved quite and rear suspension movement feels smoother as a whole.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I installed two on my 2017 R3 a month ago. The factory upper bushing would not rotate when I removed the shock. The RWC press inserts definitely helped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts