Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone have frame weights for these new bikes in aluminum? I'm guessing around 8lb with shock. With the Ripmo AF out, I feel like there is a bit of talk about how it's a lighter shreddy aluminum option, but I'd like to see some numbers from real owners. I'm also curious if the weight gain from the CC HT2 to Megatower (about 700g from what I've read) translates over to the Aluminum trims as well.

Thanks so much!

Hunter

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you email Santa Cruz, they'll tell you whatever frame weights you ask for. I was told the aluminum HT2s are 4.2 kg or 9.27 lbs size large no shock. Seems surprisingly heavy to me, but that's what I was told. The frame weight difference between the HT2 and MT is only about 20g, but there are no aluminum Megas.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

9.2 no shock sounds DH bike heavy....I'd love to see one on a scale.

The bit about the HT2 vs MT is super helpful though, and encouraging if I go with a Megatower for adjustability and coil compatibility.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's about the same for the C frames as well. 24g difference between the C frames and 14g difference between the CC frames both size large no shock. Nearly all of the difference in weight between those bikes is in the parts spec.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's about the same for the C frames as well. 24g difference between the C frames and 14g difference between the CC frames both size large no shock. Nearly all of the difference in weight between those bikes is in the parts spec.
Well HELL! Why NOT go MT in light of that gem of info...and have the option to run a coil! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
super helpful.

Both in that the Hightower is built stout (and not technically coil compatible but I bet you'll see some narrow spring coils on there soon) and that the Megatower is the way for someone like me to go (if you're not hung up on how a 6.2" bike will climb compared to a 5.7" bike).

I still can't believe the alu weight tho.....IIRC my round tube dw DHR is less than that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
super helpful.

Both in that the Hightower is built stout (and not technically coil compatible but I bet you'll see some narrow spring coils on there soon) and that the Megatower is the way for someone like me to go (if you're not hung up on how a 6.2" bike will climb compared to a 5.7" bike).

I still can't believe the alu weight tho.....IIRC my round tube dw DHR is less than that.
Yeah, but all reports are the MT climbs tech just fine. It's just the longer climbs suck because of the heavier parts you need to hang on the thing because of the travel.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Yeah, I wonder if maybe it has to do with the lifetime frame warranty they offer now. Or maybe they're just finding that the aluminum frames aren't selling as well now that they have the carbon C option, so they're putting less R&D time into optimizing the tubing profiles and such to minimize the weight. Who knows.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if maybe it has to do with the lifetime frame warranty they offer now. Or maybe they're just finding that the aluminum frames aren't selling as well now that they have the carbon C option, so they're putting less R&D time into optimizing the tubing profiles and such to minimize the weight. Who knows.
I think you're right on here with why these weights are what they are. I've been trying to figure this out because the Ripmo AF frame weight is known. I'm gathering that the AF frame weight is between the HT2 C and HT2 Alu but closer to the C. AF is coil compatible and has room for 2.6s. SC has the lifetime warranty and.... cool looks :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
That is crazy. My large Knolly Fugitive is 9lbs with an X2, which is heavy for an air shock. The Knolly is built burly too. So the HT with an X2 shock would be 10.5lbs? With an NX build that thing would rival the weight of an eBike.

Whoever else said it, SC must not be pulling out the stops on the engineering effort put into the aluminum frames.

If you email Santa Cruz, they'll tell you whatever frame weights you ask for. I was told the aluminum HT2s are 4.2 kg or 9.27 lbs size large no shock. Seems surprisingly heavy to me, but that's what I was told. The frame weight difference between the HT2 and MT is only about 20g, but there are no aluminum Megas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts