Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Had the road version at our shop.

Brown_Teeth said:
But haven't seen the MTB version in the flesh. Though a very creative road bike clincher setup, some of the forces on a mountainbike tire are pretty extreme. Seeing how this worked on a road wheel, I'd be leary of trying this system on my Bullit. I want to see some more info or see how others fared while using this system on a mountainbike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TNC said:
But haven't seen the MTB version in the flesh. Though a very creative road bike clincher setup, some of the forces on a mountainbike tire are pretty extreme. Seeing how this worked on a road wheel, I'd be leary of trying this system on my Bullit. I want to see some more info or see how others fared while using this system on a mountainbike.
Well, 'crossers have been using tubular clinchers off-road with good results, and the Tufo MTB tire is really meant for XC racing on smoother tracks, so I could see it working out pretty well. You could probably drop pressure a bit, for better traction, while still running a pretty smooth tire.
Major turnoffs for me are price, the lack of tread, and a lack of faith in the sealant (I had a road Tufo get punctured and refuse to seal, even with fresh sealant).

Sort of off-topic, but back in the day, tire makers tried to market off-road tubulars. Yeah, glue-on MTB treads. Obviously, they didn't sell, but every so often one pops up on Ebay.

It's probably just a matter of time before some 29"er throws a set of tubies with big 34mm cross treads on and smokes some race, after which the trend will blow up.

You heard it here first, kiddies.
Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts