Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that when I put "dog" in the title, the thread gets thousands of hits. We'll see how that works out with mountain biking pics :rolleyes:

Winter finally hit CT last week. Over December and the first part of January we had 39 days where the temps were above normal. The last week has been below normal all week. We got a little snow on Thursday night and its been cold enough to keep it crunchy. This is the best time of year to ride. The trails are hard and fast, the snow added a bit of a sliding layer on top. Very cool to head into a corner lock the rear wheel for a second and slide across the snow. Sometimes the snow is unpredictable and these slides are tough, this weekend it was really nice.

Saturday my wife did her first "winter" ride. She did awesome despite 20 degree temps and 30 mph wind. We only stopped once, since standing still was painful, at best. Incidentally we encountered a group of dogs off leash, one of which has nipped my calf before. The owner has now developed a technique to control his dogs, it was nice to see improvement.

Slider and I hit up the same place today and caught some of the more technical areas. Even with the snow most everything was rideable - there were a few off camber rocks which we passed on. It was a great, fast ride.

My RM Switch is down with fork problems so I dragged the Titus RX100 out for a ride. It took a little while to get used to that racing geometry again after the relaxed ride on the Switch. I was pretty happy with the way the RX worked out though, I gotta ride that bike more often. It carves turns so much tighter and it also is a bunch easier to climb.

Today got into the 20's (starting temp was 11), but there was very little wind.

Slider:

Me...

Two great rides...
John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...

The snow was pretty stuck to the rocks, so you could trust it, for the most part. There were a few off camber rocks that we went around, but rolled all the rollers.

John

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Great shots. Really cool you guys got to keep your snow. Nothing here on the shoreline (New Haven). It has been good for trail design at least. Come March and April I have a feeling the trail elves will be unveiling some great new stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super

9.8m/s/s said:
Great shots. Really cool you guys got to keep your snow. Nothing here on the shoreline (New Haven). It has been good for trail design at least. Come March and April I have a feeling the trail elves will be unveiling some great new stuff. :thumbsup:
My buddy just moved back to New Haven, he's trying to go car free - which means we'll definitely be riding down your way a bit this year. We should hook up for a ride, I'd like to see that stuff on West Rock.

Oh, and that snow was pretty isolated, just a few miles down the street where my daughter's horse is there is no snow. Must be the elevation :D

John

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Jisch said:
My buddy just moved back to New Haven, he's trying to go car free - which means we'll definitely be riding down your way a bit this year. We should hook up for a ride, I'd like to see that stuff on West Rock.

Oh, and that snow was pretty isolated, just a few miles down the street where my daughter's horse is there is no snow. Must be the elevation :D

John
Wow, great for your buddy. Car free really is a great way to be in New Haven. Because of all the traffic people forget that it's really only a 13x 13 block grid. And with parking meters being 1.25/hour and insane meter ninjas I think the city is trying to push it too. (Or just drive all of the downtown businesses into the ground.)

Let me know when you are around, I'll definately show you and your friend the goods.

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
I've been in sort've a biking slump since the snow started up here in Western PA. I wanna go, but I've been having motivation issues. For some reason, that first picture motivated me to get out next sunny day I get. I don't know why that picture in particular, maybe because it was her first snowy ride and it's normally not something I do that often either. It worked though, so thanks for posting! :)

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool...

Judd97 said:
For some reason, that first picture motivated me to get out next sunny day I get. I don't know why that picture in particular, maybe because it was her first snowy ride and it's normally not something I do that often either. It worked though, so thanks for posting! :)
My wife will be psyched she inspired someone to ride!

John

·
Dude...
1,309 Posts
It's like when your looking for something on Ebay and people put titles like "not shimano" just so you get it in your serches...

Nice pictures, all this warm weather has turned me into a pansy, the only riding I've done is to work and back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.